We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alice Springs and Yularo

Which Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Abu Dhabi
3 posts
Save Topic
Alice Springs and Yularo

We (2 familes & 3 children (9, 10 & 15) intend to visit Alice Springs on 3rd Jan 06 - Any hotel suggestion?

On 4th of Jan a 1 hr hot air balloon ride is planned - is there any other operator besides Adrenalin to do it with? Must we book in advance or can it be done upon arrival?

Is it cheaper to fly or drive (4WD - any car rental to recommend) to Yularo from Alice Springs for all of us?

We intend to use Anangu tours Dot Painting and Kuniya Sunset Tour on 5 Jan. Any comments on their tours?

On 6 Jan we thought of driving to Devil's Marble ... is this too much??? and staying overnight at Alice Springs for our flight to Perth? Or is it better to fly from ASP to Perth directly?

Please help I am desperate to make this trip a success!

Alice Springs...
Level Contributor
109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alice Springs and Yularo

Hi,There is another company called "Outback Ballooning"( 08 89528723 )I am sure you could book this on your arrival in Alice as it is not our tourist season, also this is a very expensive flight, there is usually a 30 min flight or an hour one, but lovley to do.The Aurora Hotel is nice and central to the town 08 89506666 ( phone no. ) The tours you have are very good, I would give the Devil's Marbles a miss this trip as they are a long drive north of Alice and with your short time and early mornings you will be exhausted. If you are only travelling on the highway and not off road you do not need a 4wd, and yes it is much cheaper to drive, it is a good highway and will take you approx 5 hours to get to Uluru, I would advise Avis as agood car hire company,

hope this helps you a little,

Cheers, Tracey :)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,056 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alice Springs and Yularo

If you're hiring a large 4WD to fit 4 adults and 3 children, it would probably be cheaper to drive. The car hire becomes more and more economical the more people you're travelling with.

We gave the Devils Marbles a miss, due to it being such a long way and there's so much stuff to see that's closer.

Are you planning to go to Kings Canyon? You could stop off there on the way to Yulara from Alice if you drive. If you don't do the rim walk you can still see the bottom shady part of the gorge, which is very nice.

If you are hiring a car anyway, I would consider just taking yourself to sunset/sunrise. Everything is easy to find, and you all go to the same areas anyway, so unless you want the company, and the refreshments/bbq they are offering, you're paying a lot for a ride to the viewing area.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
495 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alice Springs and Yularo

We stayed at the All Seasons Oasis, which is just on the fringe of the town centre and an easy walk. We found it clean, spacious, helpful staff and were picked up from there for all our tours. Parking on site was easy and we hired our vehicle from the European car hire firm next door, which was more than convenient. It is a long drive to Uluru, but we prefered it to a flight, as there is so much more to see and do and places to stop at enroute to get the feel of the centre. It will be very hot, so it may be wise to plan your drive for early morning. I am not sure that a 4wd will fit 7, (you may need a people carrier)but we found that it wasn't necessary. All the main roads round Uluru are good.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,056 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alice Springs and Yularo

Do NOT be tempted to book the Alice Plaza Hotel in Todd St. NOT a nice place to stay.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alice Springs and Yularo

We went with "Outback Balloon" they were great and had a wonderful breakfast after the trip. Just a word of warning we were picked up at 4am for our trip but it was worth it. You get back aroun 9-10am. The kids and you might also enjoy a camel ride. We did the take a camel to dinner tour. which was great. All I know about Alice Springs is if you want to save some money you could stay at Alice on Todd apt but they aren't anything to write home about. But it does have 2 rooms and one has 3 beds(2 twin bunks and 1 single) and a queen bed in another room but only 1 shower/bathroom. Its a bit out of town about a mile or so. Wasn't my favorite but it might work for you. But if you are just going to sleep there then go for it. It does have a full kitchen and fridge.

Alice Springs...
Level Contributor
109 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alice Springs and Yularo

Hi, yes must agree with Snodge that the Alice Plaza appartments are not very good, I can reccommend Aurora on Leichhardt Terrace, ( 08 89506666 ) it is very central, shopping mall, pubs, restaurant etc, then most things are close by in Alice :) they can also help you with your tour info.

Average temp here @ the moment 38c/40 most days, need any more info please ask,

Cheers,

Tracey.

Alice Springs.

N.T

Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...