We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flies or Gnats or Other Nuisance Flying Bugs Or Insects

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
485 reviews
Save Topic
Flies or Gnats or Other Nuisance Flying Bugs Or Insects

Should a visitor be prepared for flies or gnats at Alice Springs and Uluru with mesh or netting head covering?

Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flies or Gnats or Other Nuisance Flying Bugs Or Insects

The number of flies at Uluru depends on the time of year. I've been in July (winter) and encountered very few. I've been in April (autumn) and been inundated with them.

Wearing netting over your hat is a personal choice. You can do that or the Aussie salute (waving them away with your hand).

Edited: 04 August 2012, 17:28
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
485 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flies or Gnats or Other Nuisance Flying Bugs Or Insects

We will be there next April and packing midge netting hats (baseball caps with nettings that drops all around to the shoulders), purchased from Air Greenland and very successfully used in Greenland against thousands of midges! Thanks for the info and your confirmation of what I read in a travel guide somewhere!

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flies or Gnats or Other Nuisance Flying Bugs Or Insects

There will not be anything uncomfortable like gnats or midges at Uluru to bite you. The flies are more of a nuisance than anything but you soon learn how to speak with your mouth closed.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flies or Gnats or Other Nuisance Flying Bugs Or Insects

Bring your net caps. They won't take up much space in your bag, :)

Flies certainly aren't as bad as tundra midges, but they can be a pain.

Every gas station and general store around Uluru and Alice Springs also sells fly nets for anyone who needs them.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
100 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flies or Gnats or Other Nuisance Flying Bugs Or Insects

Oh, my -- I have certainly stumbled into this most appropriate forum! Net caps? Fly nets? Oh, dear! I have plans to go to Uluru in February as part of a tour. My initial question was going to be, "Should I wait and buy bug repellent THERE instead of bringing my own from the US?" I wanted to know if the formula was different for the different species of insects. Now I see that bug repellant may not be the issue at all -- I'll need a hat with a net?!? I may just stay in the hotel. Boo.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flies or Gnats or Other Nuisance Flying Bugs Or Insects

No sense in travelling all that way to stay in the hotel.

Put your hat on and get out there. You'd need a hat at this time of year anyway - the one you need here just has an elegant veiling trim.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,475 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flies or Gnats or Other Nuisance Flying Bugs Or Insects

Oh for heavens sake! You're going to Central Australia - there are flies when it's warm. Same as there are in Africa and zillions of other places.

Buy tropical strength Rid or Bushmen's when you get here. If it doesn't have DEET, it's likely to be useless.

If you have a hat with a flyveil, bring it - otherwise buy one here if you think they will annoy you. As Margo says, you'll need a hat & sunscreen anyway, so just add a veil. Baseball caps are no use in our sun - no cover for ears, side of face or back of neck. Get a hat with a decent brim.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flies or Gnats or Other Nuisance Flying Bugs Or Insects

aerogard tropical strength has about 20% DEET and that is about all u need for biting insects . it's available at most supermarkets and chemists (drug stores). higher DEET products are no more effective and the chemical is nasty anyway.

but nothing and i mean nothing will keep those pesky flies at bay except a fly net.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flies or Gnats or Other Nuisance Flying Bugs Or Insects

You wouldnt really go all that way and stay in your room I hope.

No different to Africa or south America. Have a good hat, some ceiling if needed and good walking shoes.

It is a magic part of the world so sure you will just live it

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
100 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flies or Gnats or Other Nuisance Flying Bugs Or Insects

Oh, yes - I am looking forward to a hat with "elegant" net trim -- funny!

I live in the South of the United States, where we certainly have mosquitos and gnats and other "no-see-ums" . I have learned that I am a "treat" for these kinds of things -- people around me can be unaffected and they swarm to ME for some reason. And beyond bites and stings I just hate things flying around my face.

I'll have to just see what happens when I get there. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...