We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commens needed for Uluru - King Cayoion

Which Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ny
Level Contributor
183 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Commens needed for Uluru - King Cayoion

Background: older couple in a good physical shape will travel in August. I will rent a car at the Ayers Rock Airport and am thinking about staying in Emu apt (manly for breakfast, lunch)

Does below makes sense? What would you add/change (order of activities)? Am I missing something (any suggestions on hikes besides Valley of the Wind and the Uluru base walk)?

Day 1: arrive Uluru at about 3 pm, pick up the car, do some grocery shopping, go to "silence" dinner

Day 2: organized trip to King Canyon. I could drive, but read that it is a 4 to 5 hours one-way trip (8 hours round trip?). May be too tiring to drive and then hike the canyon.

Day 3: self sun rise drive to Kata Tjuta; do some hiking. In the pm visit the Community Center. If have energy still, self drive to Ayers Rock for the sunset.

Day 4: self sun rise drive to Ayers Rock, do some hiking, take the 2pm flight.

ny
Level Contributor
183 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Commens needed for Uluru - King Cayoion

Apologies for misspelling the "Canyon".....

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
990 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Commens needed for Uluru - King Cayoion

An exciting trip :) Travelled throughout NT last year in September including of course Uluru and surrounds.

My opinions on your trip...

Day 1: arrive Uluru at about 3 pm, pick up the car, do some grocery shopping, go to "silence" dinner

The sounds of silence dinner picks up from hotels around 5 pm from memory and the drive from the airport is about 15/20 mins. You might find you have a bit of a rush on that night.

Day 2: organized trip to King Canyon. I could drive, but read that it is a 4 to 5 hours one-way trip (8 hours round trip?). My opinion is it's too tiring to drive and then hike the canyon

Yes it is about 4 and a bit hours drive and you need some rest breaks in the travel. It would be a very tiring day to do the rim walk on top of the drive. From memory Voyagers run day tours to the canyon from Uluru and you could find out when you book your accommodation with them. You get to enjoy the scenery along the road too that way.

Day 3: self sun rise drive to Kata Tjuta; do some hiking. In the pm visit the Community Center. If have energy still, self drive to Ayers Rock for the sunset.

Some nice walks here, the Valley of the winds is a bit full on but its great even if you only do the shorter section to the first lookout .Walpa Gorge walk is nice too . When you get back to Uluru make sure you visit the cultural centre for real understandings of the area.

Day 4 Head to the sunrise viewing at Uluru.

The colour changes (even when cloudy or wet) are just truly unimaginable. No photo can do it justice in my opinion.

BUt the the thing I notice about your itinerary is no time dedicated to getting up close with Uluru itself. That would be a shame .

For that reason, considering your time frame, I'd do Kata Tjuta REAL EARLY Day 3 heading back to the rock around late lunch. Spend the next few hours taking at least the Mala walk and Kantju Gorge and then the Kaniya walk. it will be a late finish in time for sunset.

Then on Day 4 visit the cultural centere and maybe drive to a few of the car stops close to the rock for final glimpses of this awe inspiring rock!

Enjoy your time there . Try to take time to squeeze in some sit lok and reflect time :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Commens needed for Uluru - King Cayoion

Agree that you should leave lots of time to spend at each site.

And not to under-estimate the amount of time needed to travel between the sites - on a very straight and monotonous stretch of high speed road.

There are lots of tours that visit all 3 sites. I would base your itinerary loosely on theirs - bearing in mind that experienced bus drivers would drive more confidently / faster!

Uluru is the most iconic, but I would say I prefer Kata Tjuta for its nooks and crannies and hidden places - it feels a bit more magical to me.

I also loved Kings Canyon - the walk along the rim of the canyon, walking down to a a natural pool with the most welcoming cool clean water (after a sweaty walk).

Viewing the Rock at sunrise and sunset are also photographers' highlights.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,815 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Commens needed for Uluru - King Cayoion

I don't want to discourage you from taking the day trip to Kings Canyon, but I would urge you to find out exactly how much time you will have there. It would be a real shame to get there and not even have time to do the Rim Walk. (The stated time to complete that walk is 3.5 hours, but I'm pretty sure it didn't take us that long. It's only 6km long, but there are some steep parts--especially at the beginning.)

Also, you might like to walk the circumference of Uluru, which is 9km. It's an easy walk and we enjoyed being in places where there were no other tourists. (Not that many people walk the entire way around Uluru.)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,495 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Commens needed for Uluru - King Cayoion

I'd encourage you to go to the Cultural Centre before you start looking around. Allow a good hour. There's a wealth of information, exhibitions and interactive displays that will add enormously to your understanding and enjoyment of everything that comes after.

Agree with the suggestion to walk around Uluru. I've only done it at dawn and it was, as so many people say, awesome. (A word I use very rarely).

The changing facets as the sun strikes the face, nooks & crannies of this enormous rock (only about 1/3 of which is above ground) is utterly fascinating.

And Longhorn is right - most people only walk around part of Uluru, so by the time you pass the half way mark, you'll probably have the place to yourself.

Unfortunately the local Aboriginal owners don't take walking tours, but there is a free Ranger guided walk (The Mala Walk) at 8am.

Here's a link which may be useful. http://www.uluru.com/UluruWalks.html

I just wore sneakers with good ridged soles when I went - and as the posters above say, just watch out for loose stones.

Take more water than you think you will need; good sunscreen & a hat.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,394 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Commens needed for Uluru - King Cayoion

I would recommend you do Kata Tjuta in the morning of day 2 then drive to Kings Canyon in the afternoon and stay there one night. Do the rim walk on the morning of day 3 while it is cooler. Then head back to Uluru in time for sunset. You may squeeze in the Cultural Centre that day, or you should have time to do it and the base walk before your flight on day 4.

If you do a day tour to Kings Canyon you would end up doing the rim walk in the middle of the day when it is hottest, plus as a previous poster said you may be pushed for time.

Bacup, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Commens needed for Uluru - King Cayoion

We have recently returned from Australia, and spent a coiple of nights at Emu Apartaments. They could do with a complete refurb., though they are clean and have everything you require, even down to hob and microwave. Our apartment was more than adequate for the two of us.

We arrived late morning at the airport, and joined the free transfer to the appartment.

The supermarket just by the apartments is quite large and has everything you would need if you want to cater for yourself or just put some snacks together.

The one thing the supermarket didn't sell which was a necessity for us, was a cold beer, but there is a bottle shop 5 minutes away at the Outback Pioneer, get the free shuttle bus. We always liked to relax in the evening with a cold beer.

We booked our trip the following monring with Uluru Express who offer a very competative service to most of the local attractions. might even be worthconsidering using them rather than trying to drive everywhere, its worth checking out their web site, send theman email if you have any questions or are looking for ideas.

We went on the dawn trip to Uluru and intended to just go on the ranger accompanied walk and stay local, but at 6.30am it was quite cool and once we started walking it just seemed natural, and a pleasure to keep walking. We completed the circuit of the rock in about 3 hours. We are both retired but reasonably fit, we wore good stout walking 'trainers'.

At a few points around the rock there are taps providing fresh water, but Certainly take several litres per person to keep sipping enroute. When we finished just after 10am the temperature had risen to around 35-38C. Don't underestimate the temperature out there especially from late morning to late afternoon.

Dee Why, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Commens needed for Uluru - King Cayoion

Hi,

Just a note, in Australia, Supermarkets DO NOT SELL alcohol.

Just mentioning that fact.

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Commens needed for Uluru - King Cayoion

Some of the smaller independant supermarkets have a liquor licence. The larger supermarkets Coles and Woolworths almost always have their own branded liquor shop attached which have independant hours of the supermarket. There are alcohol restrictions around Yulara I am not sure exactly what they are and there was a change in Territory Government in mid 2012 which may have reduced/altered them.

I would suggest that you go to the visitor center and do the Kata Tjuta walks on your second day. This way if you are tired and still go to Kings Canyon you can have a rest in the coach on the way. The visitors center also has some guided walks which you may wish to hook into which are very informative.

Lou

NSW Aust
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Commens needed for Uluru - King Cayoion

Hi dy

I am envious of your trip.

My husband and I did the Red Centre Ugust last year.

Have you booked a car?

We precooked and had no trouble but there were3 couples at the counter when we were finalizing the paperwork and they missed out on a car, so just something to think about...

We did the rim walk and took our time. There were some tours there as well and they seemed to be racing to get through in the alotted time allowed. Something else to think about.

Are you able to stay the night at kings canyon?

A must is to get up close and personal with the "rock". It is the most unbelievable sight. The first time we saw it we had to stop and take photos and we were a long way away from it. Then as we got closer it was breathtaking. We did the walk around the base and took a packed lunch with us.

Sounds of silence was a must do for us, and we were not disappointed.

I am sure you will enjoy your trip.

Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...