We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset in November - parking lots crowded?

Which Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
360 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset in November - parking lots crowded?

Does parking at the "good" spots get so filled up that you have to go stake out a spot an hour before sunset? Ditto for the sunrise spots, although we'll be up very early and out and about for the day.

Sunset is at 7 when we'll be there, we would love to go have dinner and a beer around 5 or 6, then head back into the park until closing time at 8:30. Is there a rush hour at the restaurants after sunset as everyone gets back to the resort in droves? We've been at scenic places in the US where this happens.

A sandwich in the car along with a beer as the sun sets might be very enjoyable, but I think I've read that alcohol in the park is illegal? (feel like a lush for asking this!)

Oz
Level Contributor
11,690 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset in November - parking lots crowded?

Hi,

Yes it is a good idea to arrive early. Sharing a nice red as the sun goes down over Uluru is one of life's great joys.

There isn't a "rush" back at the restaurants but as the site is so isolated and staff are very transient (most stay three months or less) the service and food quality are highly variable.

The traditional owners have decided that Uluru is a "dry camp" so you need to prove you are a visitor (room key) before you can buy alcohol. Be prepared for very hot days even in November. Start your walks early (sunrise) before the heat of the day, cover up and take much more water than you think you will need. Don't wait until you are thirsty to drink and consume at least a litre/hour when walking. The rangers close the walks when the temp reaches 36 degrees C (100F in the old money). This a dry heat, almost no humidity.

We enjoyed the walks at Kata-Juta where you actually walk into the formation more than the base walk at Uluru

Cheers,

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset in November - parking lots crowded?

We were there in late April. We didn't make a dinner rez the first night and it wa a big mistake. All of the restaurants had 1 to 1.5 HR wait immediately after sunset..we immediately made rez for the next 2 nights and still had a little trouble getting a rez at our desired time the next night.

We were there during a busy time though. It was a weekend.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
360 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset in November - parking lots crowded?

Thanks for the input. We'll be there Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights. Is it legal to sit in the car and have a beer, or are there picnic tables or something?

Heat we are used to, we live very near our Southwest US deserts, and even once went to Death Valley when it was 48C! (119F, once of these days the US will update itself). Felt like a blowdryer, quite an experience.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset in November - parking lots crowded?

I don't know about the legality of drinking a beer on site.

I saw a few benches in the sunset parking lot we went to but no picnic tables. We did get there a bit early so we could get a spot that allowed us to get out quickly (towards the exit side of the lot). There was a bit of a traffic jam after sunset w/ everyone trying to leave at the same time.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,803 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset in November - parking lots crowded?

Yes you can drink within the park in the sunset and sunrise area.

If eating before sunset definitely book your table wherever you intend to eat and be prepared to have just one course (as OZ said the staff are transient so service can be hit and miss)

Lots of people lean against the bonnet of the car and use it as a table.

I'd suggest doing sunset Wednesday night to avoid the "long weekenders"

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
360 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset in November - parking lots crowded?

Thanks GurusW, good information. Now we can look forward to sitting outside in the quiet as it gets dark, without getting too hungry!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,576 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset in November - parking lots crowded?

I was there a few weeks ago (see avatar) for sunset on two nights. Parked beside me one night was a 4WD with the bloke in a deck chair with beer in hand on the roof of the vehicle with his camera and tripod set up. :)

Edited: 23 June 2013, 06:34
8. Re: Sunset in November - parking lots crowded?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...