We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camp site along the Stuart Highway

Which Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Camp site along the Stuart Highway

Our flight arrived at Alice Springs at about 12:30pm, then we will pick up our motor home and grab some grocery items, water, etc., before our journey to Uluru.

If we left Alice at about 3:30-4:00pm, is it possible for us to arrived at the Desert Oaks Rest Area before it goes dark? Roughly what time will that be? 6pm? We are planing to have an overnight there. Or, we should stay at other rest area for the night?

Also, as this camp site is free, is there any powered site?

Thank you for any advice!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,957 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camp site along the Stuart Highway

Hi,

I wouldn't advice driving at dusk due to all the wildlife which will be on the road.

The Stuart Highway is sealed and well sign posted. It takes approx 4.5hrs drive south from Alice Springs along the Stuart and West on the Lasseter Hwy. (445kms)

The first service facilities can be found at Stuarts Well which is 91kms from Alice.

After Stuarts Well , Eridunda is located at the Lasseter Hwy junction which caters for accommodation , petrol, food , takeaway or dine in plus a good camping ground.

After Eridunda approx 57kms away is Mt Ebenezer which also caters for tourists with fuel , food, bar and accommodation. The last stop before Voyages Resort is Curtain Springs where fuel and food is also available.

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Red Centre
Level Contributor
795 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camp site along the Stuart Highway

Hi,

There are several free overnight rest areas between Alice and Uluru. I think the one you're asking about is about 30 or 40km north of Erldunda Roadhouse. If so, you would be able to get there comfortably in daylight. The free rest areas have very limited, if any, facilities, so you need to be completely sel sufficient with food & water. Some have a fire pit with a hot plate (BBQ), none have power. If you need a powered site you would need to stay at Erldumda which is about a 2 hr drive from Alice.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Camp site along the Stuart Highway

Thank you very much for your information and advice!

Alice Springs
Level Contributor
141 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camp site along the Stuart Highway

If your motor home doesn't have toilet facilities, please don't stay at free overnight rest areas that do not have a "long drop". Too many people, too much unburied toilet paper and human waste = gross for others wanting to use a rest stop, to "rest", whilst doing a long distance drive

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camp site along the Stuart Highway

You could drive all the way to Uluru if you go straight from the airport. There is no need to shop in Alice Springs as there is a good IGA supermarket at Yulara.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Camp site along the Stuart Highway

Hi bacialicesprings,

Yes, I believe that everyone want to have a "rest" and as we have changed our itinerary, we have decided to overnight at Alice.

Hi cromansydney,

We have hired a motor home which should be picked up at the branch, not the airport. Also, we are not sure how long will the rental process take before we can hit the road.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camp site along the Stuart Highway

HI Dippits, can I ask if you have to drop your motorhome off back in Alice or can you drop it off in Uluru. As I have been looking at the exact same trip!

Also what did you decide to do in terms of getting to Uluru from Alice, are you planning on breaking up the journey or driving there straight?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,899 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camp site along the Stuart Highway

Only three companies - Hertz, Avis and Thrifty - have offices at Uluru. None of them rent vans from Uluru. While you may be able to arrange to drop-off a van with one of those companies, They would almost certainly charge a one-way drop-off fee.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camp site along the Stuart Highway

Hi Monica (& Dippits),

Just my two cents worth...We have booked a motorhome to pick up from Alice Springs and also have decided to overnight in Alice due to the uncertainty of efficient check in for the vehicle. Our flight doesn't land until after 11, so any delays could see us stuck on the road after dusk. We also thought this would give us time to get familiar with the vehicle and stock up on groceries. We will drive the full distance to Yulara the following morning, at a leisurely pace so we can enjoy the trip and take in the scenery. We are staying three nights in Yulara then plan to head over to Kings Canyon for two nights. We will then do the full journey from Kings Canyon to Alice before staying in Alice another night. We fly out the following morning. We have a full week, and trying not to pack too much in as we are a family with children and going for quality not quantity!

I hope you (and Dippits) have a great trip, would love to hear how it goes. :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Camp site along the Stuart Highway

Hi Monica,

Yes, we have to drop off the motorhome back in Alice.

On the way from Alice to Yulara, I think we will just take some stops for petrol and photos. However, we will overnight in Erldunda on the way back to Alice from Kings Canyon, in order to save some time for Standley Chasm the next day.

Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...