We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunrise at Uluru

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Sunrise at Uluru

I will be celebrating my 40th at Uluru (very excited!) and would love to find the ultimate position to watch the sunrise with my family, and any recommendations/ideas to make it special. Is there a particular viewing spot that is better than others etc. I have seen pictures of people setting up chairs and tables, is this frequently possible or will I be on my tippy toes trying to look over people's shoulders? We are prepared to arrive early. Thank you! :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunrise at Uluru

A special place to visit- good choice and enjoy!

Download the following, it has lots of good info on viewing spots.

environment.gov.au/system/…visitor-guide.pdf

And

parksaustralia.gov.au/uluru/plan/sunrise-sun…

Yes, there can be crowds and touristy at times but immerse yourself in the history and culture. Visit the Cultural Centre when you first arrive if possible for a good overview.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunrise at Uluru

Thank you for the info, great links there! I was also hoping to get some personal opinions as I have noticed a few people have said the positioning of the new viewing area isn't so great, so please feel free to elaborate. Thank you! :)

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Alice Springs, Kings Canyon, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre, Northern Territory
Level Contributor
738 posts
1,948 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunrise at Uluru

Hi Elzbeth,

It also depends on when you are travelling to Uluru.

It starts to get busy mid May until the end of September.

During June and July there can be a few thousand people there.

Another option is to do the Sounds of Silence silver service dinner in the desert with

Uluru and Kata Tjuta in the distance. Also with campfires, entertainment and star talks.

The link is below for you. Good luck and Happy upcoming birthday.

www.ayersrockresort.com.au/sounds-of-silence/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunrise at Uluru

We went to the Talinguru Nyakunytjaku viewing site for sunrise and it was good to see it in a different perspective, also not as crowded as the car sunset viewing site and more room.you can walk to different spots here for some tranquility.

We arrived early to the car sunset viewing site and it was already crowded but able to get a spot, you park facing Uluru so no one to block you. This is a spectacular view of Uluru with the colours changing as the sun sets. I have heard reports of this site being much less crowded at sunrise, Uluru would be a silhouette with the sun rising behind!

It was several years since we visited so not sure of any changes. You can walk from the sunset car park I think about 1 km for a higher view.

there is viewing platforms near Kata Tjuta also. We went for sunrise there then did The Valley of the Winds walk which we enjoyed.

Uluru is a special place that we are privileged to be able to visit, you have stirred some great memories.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunrise at Uluru

Thank you for the replies (and birthday wishes!). Would love to do the Sounds of Sunset but we have young children so it's not applicable to us, which is fair enough. It sounds like we will need to find our spot a good hour and a half before sunset for Uluru, but hopefully sunrise won't be as popular!

Thanks for the extra info re viewing. Like all who go to Uluru, we are hoping to get the best out of this amazing place.

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Red Centre
Level Contributor
813 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunrise at Uluru

Hi

If you're looking for somewhere a little less crowded the Kata Tjuta viewing platform is a beautiful spot for sunrise. From there you're seeing sunrise over KT with a view of Uluru in the distance (take a look at the map on the Parks website). It is a longer drive but I think well worthwhile. I've never seen more than 15 or 20 people there. Enjoy your birthday, whatever you do.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,838 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunrise at Uluru

backing that one up

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunrise at Uluru

I had thought about seeing the sunrise from Kata Tjuta on my birthday so great advice. We will have the opportunity of two mornings, so it's a matter of deciding which one for my big day :). It's only a few weeks away!!! Thank you, both of you :)

9. Re: Sunrise at Uluru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...