We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend at Uluru_Sound of Silence or Tali Wuru

Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend at Uluru_Sound of Silence or Tali Wuru

Hello,

I am heading to Uluru next weekend just for the weekend and hoping for some advice on my itinerary.

Friday: Arrive 2pm - walk around resort - Sound of silence in evening - How do you rate Sound of Silence? I was swithering towards Tali Wuru but is just so much money for us...is the experience really worth it? My partner is wary of the steep cost.

Sat: Sunrise at Uluru - is it possible to do this without a tour group, using the resort bus?

Maybe do a short helicopter late afternoon (we have a voucher from family)

Sunday: Relax at resort before getting afternoon flight. If we can squeeze in another visit in the morning we will.

Any tips would be most appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend at Uluru_Sound of Silence or Tali Wuru

I wouldn't recommend using the bus tours at Uluru and instead hiring a car. Driving is very easy and distances are short - you will have time for the 45 minute trip to Kata Tjuta on your Saturday for example. You will probably save money since you are travelling with at least 2 based on your reference to a partner? With a car you can easily visit the various walks at the base of Uluru, go to the visitor centre on your own schedule away from the hordes, and avoid feeling trapped in the resort.

The Sounds Of Silence tour generally gets high marks - you can read many reviews here on TA - but it is quite expensive (as are most things in Uluru). I've not been on it personally but my parents went last year and they were complimentary, but I think found the food only acceptable. They enjoyed the opportunity to meet other tourists and compare their experiences. I was happy to stay back at the Outback Pioneer Hotel and cook my own dinner on the BBQ there :)

If you do decide to hire a car, be sure to book in advance as there are only a limited number and the rental companies are often fully booked.

Edited: 19 May 2014, 02:41
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,432 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend at Uluru_Sound of Silence or Tali Wuru

Tali Wiru and SOS are 2 different experiences.

SOS is a buffet with a large bus gathering and Tali Wiru is private finding so it really depends on if you like buffets are not.

With SOS food quality is very dependent on where you sit so trio to be as close to the buffet as possible. IME the tables at the front get served first and are going back for seconds while the people at the back are still in the queue.

The advantage to being near the back is being nearer the fire though :)

If large bus groups from AAT and buffets don't worry you stick with SOS… and avoid the roo and the croc as it is usually overcooked and dry ;)

3. Re: Weekend at Uluru_Sound of Silence or Tali Wuru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...