We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sound of silence?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Sound of silence?

I am staying at the Lost Camel Hotel for 2 nights in July with my girlfriend. Has anyone tried the Sound of silence? I have heard mixed review and it's also quite expensive.... also when it be too cold or cloudy to sit outside in July? Is the food good and is it worth the money?

Would anyone recommend any tours/ trips from the resort?

Many thanks!

Southern United...
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sound of silence?

definately do the sounds of silence dinner. It was fabulous when we went in August 05...one of the highlights of our experience.

We also dod the Uluru basewalk and sunrise breakfast which was good. We decided not to climb the rock out of respect for the rock and for the Aboriginals.

We also did Valley of the winds walk (Olgas) and sunset BBQ which was fantatic. For this experience you do need a good level of fitmess as the walk is rocky in places. Not good if you have mobility problems.

I would also book your tours in advance, especially the sounds of silence as many couldn't get booked onto these tours when trying to book direct with the hotel on arrival.

I really enjoyed the Uluru/ Olgas experience as it was so different from anything i have ever seen before. The stargazing at the Sounds of silence is also good as there is a resident astronomer who guides you through the srarry sky.

I say go for it.

Southern United...
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sound of silence?

I also meant to say that it does get cold in the evening but the sounds of silence provided fleecy ponchos to wear and had heaters at each table.

Tap in Sounds of silence and you should be able to read reviews of sounds of silence on here in TA.

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,061 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sound of silence?

We did the Sound of Silence dinner, although it wa Dec.

It was truly wonderful; the weather was perfect, which must help.

It was beautifully orchestrated, right from alighting from the coach, when we walked a short way before being offered champagne and canapes, while looking at fantastic views and listening to a haunting digeridoo.

We were invited up table by table to the feast.The food, while unusual, was tasty. We ere offered wine throughout the meal. Everyone was very pleasant.

Afterwards, the talk and showing of the stars of the southern skies was wonderful, with opportunities afterwards to use the telescopes to continue exploring.

We also went on a dawn at Uluru tour. This was way before dawn on the morning after the S of S evening - so not good planning on our part!

This was a great tour, saw the Southern Cross on the way out to a private dune area, where we saw the amazing sunrise in total quiet (unlike next day when we went on a sort of free-for-all on the shuttle bus, with huge crowds along the road, amongst the parked vehicles - we shouldn't have been greedy and tried for 2 bites at the cherry!)

We then had breakfast cooked for us, and were told tales of the natuves and of Uluru.

We were then driven on a tour of Uluru, and heard more fascinating things about the area. We also had time for some walking around the perimete.

Another great tour!

Happy travelling!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sound of silence?

The Sounds of Silence was definitely a highlight of my Oz trip. Without question, I think it was worth the money. I was there in May though and I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes with everything.

I'm not a cuisine expert. But they have a buffet. So I could try a little of everything and see if I liked it. I did find the food pretty good.

But imagine flat land. No city lights. Almost no anything for thousands of miles. When the sun goes down, the moon rises, and it's stars from horizon to horizon. I've never seen anything like it before. Definitely an experience.

I stayed at the Lost Camel too. They recommended doing a camel sunrise tour. It was somewhat pricey, but I enjoyed myself. Not too often would I get the chance to ride a camel.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sound of silence?

Thank you all for your replies! Will book dinner for 2 after all your positive reviews!

Which of the other eating places at the resort would you suggest for dinner for the other night? (Am staying for 2 nights...)

JoeBlizza - what did you think of the Lost Camel? Did you have a nice stay?

Thanks again!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sound of silence?

Dan2006,

I did have a nice stay at the Lost Camel. You really only have 6 hotel choices and this seems to be the best for cost. When I looked at the complaints for this hotel, many were trivial things like no tv. I mean, why would you care about a tv when you are at Ayers Rock? The rooms were definitely small. But everything was clean.

Aigle, Switzerland
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sound of silence?

the DIY Barbeque (with adjacent bar) at the Outback Pioneer Lodge was good fun and reasonably priced - might help your wallet after the sounds of silence!!

herts uk
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sound of silence?

anyone have any experience of th e veggie option for Sounds of Silence? daughter is a veggie but eats fish. I understand there is baramumdi at the buffet but think we will book her a veggie meal.

Thanks

Julie

Lancashire England
Level Contributor
523 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sound of silence?

Hey Dan 2006

We are also staying at the Lost Camel in July (4th - 6th) and I

have been wondering pretty much the same as you, I seemed

to be going round in circles with regard to the Sound of silence

and what else we should do, so your post and the responses

has just made my mind up we will also go for it. Could you advise

if you have now booked the S o S and if so who did you book through?

Cheers.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sound of silence?

Dan,

Be aware that all food outlets at the Yulara complex are expensive. They have to truck everything in and they have a monopoly! Even the pizza and sandwich shops are not cheap. But they are the cheapest and fill up in the evening. There is a small supermarket and you can buy some food stuffs to eat in your room - we did that for our breakfasts.

If you don't want to take an organised tour, there is a shuttle bus that runs between the resort and the Rock every couple of hours. You have to pay, but it's cheaper than the tours. We walked around the Rock on our own - clearly marked and mostly level pathway - takes about 3 hours and well worth it.

I have to say that climbing the Rock is not worth the effort. Hard work, dangerous and not much to see when you get to the top - as well as offending the indigenous owners.

We also took a Harley motorbike tour (at my wife's insistence). Not my cup of tea and quite pricey.

Get answers to your questions about Uluru-Kata Tjuta...