We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Terrenas Villa Rentals

Fort Lauderdale...
2 posts
Save Topic
Las Terrenas Villa Rentals

I am trying to book a vacation villa in Las Terrenas. I've already found the perfect one! However, the agent representing this villa is now telling me that in addition to the $5k cost (for 1-week), I will have to pay extra for electricity, a professional chef, etc...

Last time I booked a villa, it was located in Acapulco and it was fully staffed and I have never heard of electricity not being included in the rate. Is this normal? Also, although it is a gated community, is there public access from the beach? How safe is a beachfront villa in Las Terrenas?

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions anyone can provide!

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Terrenas Villa Rentals

I am not sure about whether it's normal to have to pay elec. separate or not. I will say this, the power company has outrageous rates. I have the same company at my house. I only have a fridge, TV, satellite dish, fan and some low consumption light bulbs. No A/C and of course no heater and my stove is gas. My two room apt costs me about $80 U.S. a month. That may be the reason they charge for the extra services. You will have power 24 hours though. Other areas have power outages everyday. L.T. still suffers occasional outages so the villa probably also has a generator on call that can burn some serious fuel costs over a period of time.

Don't let me scare you too much I'm sure you will be fine for just a week. Make sure they tell you how much a kilowatt hour costs in pesos. I get billed 15 pesos an hour. The exchange is 36.7 pesos to the dollar now so you can do the math.

The beach-front in L.T. is very safe. And beautiful! You will love it!

Fort Lauderdale...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Terrenas Villa Rentals

Thank you so much! I love D.R. and travel there almost every year. We always stay in all-inclusive resorts and so I wanted to try something different this time around. I have been reading different forums to get a better idea of what I am getting into by choosing a villa rather than a resort.

I'm still not 100% sure I will choose the villa because of safety concerns:( The agent is not being helpful either...I requested a chef and she said she can get one that will cook only one meal per day and the cost would be $100 per day so I don't even want to inquire about 24-hour surveillance. Do you know of any reputable agencies that can provide me with a full staff, including a security guard and/or house attendant?

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Terrenas Villa Rentals

not sure where you found the villa but here is a site with many places for rent. http://www.homeaway.com/search/keywords:las+terrenas many have reviews from people who have stayed there and all have contacts for any questions regarding security, etc. las terrenas is indeed beautiful and my wife and i vacation there frequently and it seems to us to be safe. good luck and happy travels, ben

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Terrenas Villa Rentals

My husband and I have been to LT 3 times since March...we loved it so much we bought a second home there...Instead of a villa you might want to check out the Alisei Hotel?? It has fully equipped kitchens...very nice. We've stayed there twice...right on the beach. The fisherman sell the local catch each day on the beach...amazing!

5. Re: Las Terrenas Villa Rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Las Terrenas