We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchange British Pounds to DR Pesos in Britain or in DR?

Which Las Terrenas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
exchange British Pounds to DR Pesos in Britain or in DR?

We are going to the GBP El Portillo in a few weeks ans we would like to know whether the exchange is better here or over there (and where to go for exchanging money near the GBP El Portillo). Thank you.

Heike

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: exchange British Pounds to DR Pesos in Britain or in DR?

I would advise you to change your pounds to U.S. dollars back home where you are sure you will get a good rate. Then just use your dollars here.

If you really need to change to pesos you can do that in Las Terrenas about 3 km from Portillo. Of course there are places closer and more convenient but they will give you less money. Right now the rate is 36.9 to 37 pesos for each dollar. A good change house will give you that rate anyhow.

There is a change house in front of the cemetery at malfunction junction. The road along the ocean converges on two one way streets in front of the cemetery and right there in a parking lot is a change house. If it's not open try inside that shopping plaza. FYI, banks will change money if you have your passport but they also give you less of an exchange rate.

You can find some places that will change pounds but they can't do a whole lot with them here so they give you a lower rate. Dollars and the Euro are king here.

You might check the exchange rate given in the Samana airport because they sometimes have a good one but in general airports are a terrible place to change money.

Edited: 05 October 2010, 16:31
London
Level Contributor
7 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: exchange British Pounds to DR Pesos in Britain or in DR?

you will have to exchange your currency into pesos in the Dominican.

You can not buy pesos outside of the country as it is against the law. It is a fixed currency really and each US$ is worth about 36 pesos

so if the £ gets stronger ag $ you will get more and vice versa

to get an approx rate of £ ag pesos

multiply 36 by the rate for £/$

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
37,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: exchange British Pounds to DR Pesos in Britain or in DR?

Lewis1959

Just to correct you on one thing about your comment on not being able to buy the peso outside the country for its against the law....this is not true as on every visit to the DR I always exchange GBP for the Dom. Rep peso here in the UK.......I always take a little over with me just to tie myself over then I use the ATM's in the DR as the ATM's only give out pesos and at a better rate then back here in the UK.

As of todays rate in the DR.

$US1 = 37.10 pesos

£1 = 57.45 pesos.

Angie.

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: exchange British Pounds to DR Pesos in Britain or in DR?

I stand correced and do apologise. It's just when I went there (quite a few years ago) it was a non-convertible currency and only could be purchased out there

thanks for the info

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
37,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: exchange British Pounds to DR Pesos in Britain or in DR?

No problem Lewis1959 things do change concerning currency over the years. Just thought I would give out the up to date info.

Angie.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: exchange British Pounds to DR Pesos in Britain or in DR?

...toursamanawithterry,

Brits will lose money if they buy dollars first. The pound to peso exchange rate is no longer a problem. Changing to dollars then pesos we lose twice. I take enough dollars to get in and out of the country and then either exchange pounds directly in to pesos or use a debit card at an ATM. If anyone wants to try the maths themselves, todays exchange at Wally's in Cabarete...

wallycabarete.com/html/wally_cambio_en.php

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: exchange British Pounds to DR Pesos in Britain or in DR?

Thank you for all your helpful comments. My travel agent quoted me a rate of 50 pesos to the pound, so 57 is a lot better. I will just exchange enough dollars to pay all the fees, and a small amount of pesos then. Thank you.

Is there really a junction called 'malfunction'?

Heike

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: exchange British Pounds to DR Pesos in Britain or in DR?

have never heard it called malfunction junction but can see how it would be called this :) across from the cemetary is the el paseo plaza where there is a place called fort knox. you can exchange there but we always used the cambio across the street where we got a good exchange(they post the rates in large printing on their window). at this corner also used to be a kiosk for tortuga tours which will give you a better rate for excursions than you will get at the resort. you will recognize the cemetary because it is walled and the wall has been painted with all of the holes in it painted as the sun or as the eyes for all the figures. happy travels, ben

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: exchange British Pounds to DR Pesos in Britain or in DR?

Thank you, Ben. So, this junction is in Las Terrenas? I think that would be a short taxi ride from the el portillo. Have you been there before?

Heike

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: exchange British Pounds to DR Pesos in Britain or in DR?

as terry said it is about 3km from portillo to this intersection in las terrenas. i have never stayed at portillo but have been and stayed in las terrenas. i read somewhere that portillo has shuttles into las terrenas but you may want to confirm this once there or via email, either way a motoconcho into town should be rather inexpensive.