We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portillo or Cayacoa

DR9
Canada
Level Contributor
268 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Portillo or Cayacoa

Based on our likes below, which resort would suit us better.

- close to small villages, local bars (stands) within walking distance

- more pool people vs beach people

- weather / rain - we are planning a mid January departure, is one area wetter because of its location to mountains etc...

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portillo or Cayacoa

Weather will be just about the same at either property.

Cayacoa is the better choice for your likes because it's a 5 min walk from town. Portillo has a better beach but I'm not sure which one has the better pools. I'll leave that up to people who have stayed at the resorts.

Toronto
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portillo or Cayacoa

My wife and I have stayed at both resorts (as well as at Cayo Levantado) in the last 2 years.

Based on your criteria, go to Cayacoa.

1. The town and some local bars are at the bottom of the very steep hil on which the hotel is perchedl (you can take little motorized open-sided cabs up and down) vs. Portillo is isolated by itself, with nearest village a lengthy cab ride away.

2. the pools at Cayacoa are bigger and better.

Having said that, I would personally stay at Portillo, with its fabulous beach that runs for miles and its great snorkelling. However, it's always a matter of personal choice.

Edited: 14 November 2011, 20:27
Mentioned in this post
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado
Luxury Bahia Principe...
5,708 Reviews
Dominican Republic
DR9
Canada
Level Contributor
268 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portillo or Cayacoa

Thanks for the reply - anyone know how the international drinks work? If you go with the Royal Club, Diamond Club, do these include the international drinks.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,088 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portillo or Cayacoa

The beach at Cayacoa is VERY small and the bay was dirty when we were ther.. Maybe it is better now.. You have to walk up a steep hill to get back or take an elevator whcij is very slow and hot..I always worried about a powere failure whcij happens often As a beach person not my choice.

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portillo or Cayacoa

DR9,

Based on our likes i've just one word for you: Cayacoa!!!

P.S. - For international drinks you've to say the brand before you ask your drink... simple.

Edited: 21 November 2011, 10:52
6. Re: Portillo or Cayacoa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2012, 10:26