We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Caribe Tour bus times are "express"?

seattle, wa
Level Contributor
112 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which Caribe Tour bus times are "express"?

I know some of the trips take longer than others. If we get in at 2:10, will we be able to catch the 4:30 caribe tours bus? If so, any idea how long the bus ride will be?

Thanks!

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Caribe Tour bus times are "express"?

The caribe buses do not go directly to LT. You must get off in either Sanchez or Santa Barbara de Samana. There are no stops before Sanchez so I would assume they are all "express" You should be able to get a taxi to the bus stop at the entrance to the new highway before the last bus but you may have a bit of a wait before it arrives there. Not sure exactly how long but i would say 1.5 hrs to Sanchez or 2 hrs to Samana. Good luck and post back on how the trip is as many people ask this question and I have never heard a report on their experiences. Happy travels, Ben

Mentioned in this post
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Caribe Tour bus times are "express"?

I think you are pushing it with the time. When I head down to the DR, I usually take the 2nd flight of the day from Miami-Santo Domingo and it arrives between 2 and 3pm. It's a very busy time of day at SDQ. From the time your plane touches down until you are in the public area of the terminal, I would estimate it takes about 45 minutes to an hour that time of day.

It will take at least a half an hour to get to the Caribe Tours bus station in Santo Domingo and the taxi stand at the airport will charge you $40

As stated above, you will have to get off the bus at Sanchez and go to Las Terrenas in a taxi or a guagua.

For what it's worth, and as a last resort, the taxi stand at SDQ airport will take you to your destination in Las Terrenas for $200 for the carload, (including tolls)

Mentioned in this post
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Las Terrenas
Las Terrenas
Dominican Republic
north carolina
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Caribe Tour bus times are "express"?

only need to go to the bus station at the start of the samana highway, which is a 5 min ride ($20 is the rate i heard, which is a bit high for that length of ride). It would be best to prepay online or by phone to caribe and make certain you let them know as soon as you get to the stop so you will be assured a seat. And the bus will not be arriving at this stop until just before 5:00

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Caribe Tour bus times are "express"?

I believe the last Express Caribe Tours from the Las Americas New Highway bus station is 3:30 pm. The taxi from the airport to this bus stop should cost a little less than $20 but a "gringo" may pay more. Certainly don't pay $40. Ben is correct, that is the price to get downtown to the main terminal. I think the last bus from the "Old Route" is 4:30 pm at the main terminal. You may make it in time for the old route departure but it's going to put you in Sanchez pretty late and a taxi to LT from there will cost $50 or so. I don't envy your situation.

Old Route bus ride is 3 to 3:30 hours long.

New Route to Sanchez is 2 hours long.

It's a lot of messing around in order to get to Las Terrenas unfortunately. You can wait for a gua gua that goes directly to Las Terrenas.. You'll have to pay for a seat for your luggage. It will go the new highway and have a later departure time. You'll have to take the taxi to the entrance to the new highway to Samana and keep an eye out for the one you want.

Mentioned in this post
Las Terrenas
Las Terrenas
Dominican Republic
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Caribe Tour bus times are "express"?

If you are paying $50 to get from Sánchez to Las Terrenas, day or night, you are being robbed. I'm sure they would gladly accept half that.

Calling ahead or emailing or attempting to prepay with Caribe Tours is an exercise in futility.

I believe the OP is simply arriving too late in the day to make it to Las Terrenas by bus regardless if they go to the main station in Santo Domingo or if they get gouged for $25 or more to be taken just a little ways down the road from the airport to the bus stop at the beginning of the Samaná highway where they may or may not have a seat for you when the bus comes. (The taxi driver will probably be mad for losing his place in the taxi line for such a short distance and will probably demand the full fare it costs to take you all the way into the city)

Take a taxi directly to LT or spend a day (or more) enjoying Santo Domingo.

Edited: 25 December 2011, 14:58
Mentioned in this post
Las Terrenas
Las Terrenas
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
6. Re: Which Caribe Tour bus times are "express"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2013, 10:18