We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

Charlottesville...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car rental

Hi, I know there have been several posts on car rentals and this may have been answered already. I'll be staying in Las Terrenas for a week in June and I'd like to rent a car from SDQ and drive to LT. If I wanted to drive to El Limon, Cayo Levantado, Las Galeras, Coson and Rincon, is an economy car sufficient, do I need to rent a small SUV? If SUV, is this for 4 wheel drive or clearance?

Thanks,

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Las Terrenas
Las Terrenas
Dominican Republic
El Limon
El Limon
320 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado
Luxury Bahia Principe...
5,745 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Las Galeras
Las Galeras
Dominican Republic
Rincon
Rincon
Puerto Rico
north carolina
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental

I would want the suv (suzuki gran vitara works fine) and mainly for clearance. Even when the unpaved roads get wet it seems they are more of a non-slippery type mud but there are some ruts and speed bumps and rocks where it is definitely good to have the clearance. Just driving between the airport to samana and from cities there (LT, Coson, Limon, Santa Barbara d Samana and LG) a regular car will do. I would, however, take the new road through Coson if in a regular car or if it means getting to LT before darkness. For Rincon an suv is a must or you can also take a water taxi from LG. Just be alert at all time in a regular car and watch for the occasional potholes and crazy driving and by all means don't drive at night except to short distances on well known roads to LT.

Mentioned in this post
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
Rincon
Rincon
Puerto Rico
Las Terrenas...
Level Contributor
410 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental

As ben said, SUV is the way t go, specially for clearance, and potholes. No need for a 4x4 though.

One love...

Rachel and Terry

Charlottesville...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental

Thank you both. That's very helpful.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental

I read yesterday that the road to rincon is much improved :) Also be careful all you surfers on the north coast, i hear the waves will be spectacular the next few days. Ben

Las Terrenas...
Level Contributor
410 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental

Ben,

We are having CRAZY winds and waves today :) Cant complain though....

One love...

Rachel and Terry

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental

El Valle looked like a miniature Hawaii pipeline over this weekend. It was spectacular!

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental

The beans will be in the mountains! (here we say the crabs will be in the collards :)

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental

www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2419940460451

Here is a video of some beautiful waves at El Valle last weekend. Makes me want to buy a surfboard!

9. Re: Car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2013, 10:25