We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of goods and services

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Cost of goods and services

Hi,it will be my 10 year wedding anniversary and was planning on renting a 6-8 bedroom villa in the las Terrenas area,and have family join us. I am trying to figure out a budget for consumible products.

What does a 24 case of presidentes cost,good quality steaks,chicken,bacon,a dozen eggs, a loaf of bread ,a meal in a restaurant (Average place) etc, cost down in the Las Terrenas area? I am gonna absorb some costs, but want to give my family members a fair dollar figure with to join us-we are all working stiffs.I am trying to get a AI type of experience without the resort chain.I have narrowed down the properties but really need real dollar figures for what it costs in that area. I figure a Budget of $4000 for 2 weeks for 10-12 people(4-6 children) should be adequate-Too High,too low?,Would really like input from someone who has done the villa rental experience.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of goods and services

While the wife and I were not really on a budget and only shopping for two I'll try to give you a general idea of what is expensive and what is cheap. Chicken and eggs I thought were very reasonable, bacon was expensive. Presidentes I thought were rather high, they only sell in 6packs at the grocery and we only bought bottles.. don't know if cheaper in the can or not but they are available. Rum and juices were inexpensive though. Fruits at the small fruitstands was cheap and seafood bought at the market beside the cemetery was a bargain. We didn't have a grill so went out for steaks (Chez Sandro) and thought the meal was very good and reasonably priced. We tended to buy in small amounts because we didn't want to buy more than we'd use :) If none of the locals come on to give exact prices I could probably get the wife to find our receipts so I will check back, we did find that some things were considerably cheaper at the "local" grocery store(can't remember the name but I'm thinking it had Terrenas in it and was past the newer store supermercado Linda a couple of blocks heading out of town) but they do not have many luxury or "non-dominican" items. Hope this helps and I'll ask the wife if she has our receipts handy, Ben

Snacks such as peanuts, doritos and candy bars are expensive so if you can cut down on these things while there you can save quite a bit :)

Edited: 10 January 2012, 11:41
Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of goods and services

To buy Presidente will cost you upwards of 1,000 pesos or $26 per case of 12 oz "pequenas". (prices just spiked for the holiday season and I was told will come down a little bit afterwards, I Highly Doubt that though)

There is a huge tax on alcohol here. All imported "non essential" (read, non-Dominican as Ben mentioned) items will have a 16% GST (ITIBIS) on it. That's why they are so expensive.

You figure a bag of Doritos cost 140 pesos. That is only $3.61 but it's a lot of money for someone from here. But really it's about what you pay back at Walmart.

Toronto
Level Contributor
286 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of goods and services

Meals in restaurants average cost: appetizer 200-400$RD, main course 350-500 $RD. They charge a 10% service fee and you're expected to tip another 10%. Average dinner in two (with beer): 1800-2000 RD. Vine goes more expensive in the restaurant (well, not as expensive as in Canada). For lunch, snacks go for 150-300 RD, a burger for 200-250 RD. As said before, Presidente goes for about 40RD ($1+) for the regular bottle in the grocery store (by the bottle or in six packs). They have large bottles that may go slightly cheaper. Supermercado Lindo sells the Bermudez rum for less than 400 RD (10$) Don Armando, or 500+ RD the Anniversario. They have a very good selection of French wines, a bottle of Bordeaux between 350 to 1000 RD ($9 to $25).

4. Re: Cost of goods and services

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2013, 10:24
Get answers to your questions about Las Terrenas