We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samana (Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo) vs. Punta Cana

montreal
Level Contributor
649 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Samana (Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo) vs. Punta Cana

Hello, have been to Punta Cana 6 times, looking at taking a quick 1 week getaway the end of June, the wife wants to try something different to punta cana, and we the love the dominican, so what would be the advantages going to this hotel mentioned in my subject or am I better pushing her to go back to the bahia in Punta Cana or try Mexico? This we really enjoy

Beach, Beach Beach!

Clean hotel

good service and food

Some entertainment in the evening (either disco or sit main loby for drinks)

Nice people

Right now there is a special out of montreal with air canada for June 23 for 7 nights for $916 a person which seems reasonable

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,009 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Samana (Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo) vs. Punta Cana

The price is right, Samana is beautiful, many, many beaches are awesome, much much much more local flavor than PC.

Go for it!

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samana (Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo) vs. Punta Cana

hi sillyguy,,

im going to try Samana next winter after many winters in PC,

I really found this year PC has lost its polish, concrete jungle,, the resorts there keeping adding on to the back of there original resort, yet beach area is not geting any bigger,,

boat traffic is terrible, endless power boats, party boats, flying boats ect,,

so im going to try samana , also south coast is much more pristine then PC

montreal
Level Contributor
649 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samana (Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo) vs. Punta Cana

yes i see the pictures are beautiful, change is hard lol, I think at that price it is worth trying, almost same price as going to cuba

Edited: 23 April 2012, 21:22
Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,078 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samana (Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo) vs. Punta Cana

I cannot comment on the price because i'm from the other side of the pond.

Regarding Samana vs Punta Cana, once you set foot in Samana you'll realize that Punta Cana is part of the past. Punta what??!!

In GBP El Portillo you'll have a nice beach, clean hotel good service and food and entertainment in the evening.

Give it a try while Samana Peninsula is out of the radar.

Ontario
Level Contributor
345 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Samana (Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo) vs. Punta Cana

We have been to Bahia principe in Punta Cana 5 times (last 2 times in the Ambar section) but with all the new buildings, we find it is just too crowded and very difficult to get palapas which I need. We tried El Portillo and just loved it. Be careful in the ocean as there is coral - swim where you see other people swimming and you will be OK. Palapas available at any time on the beach. We booked the regular room (run of the house I believe) and found it to be very small. We don't spend a lot of time there, but it was too hot to be on the balcony. We like coffee in the room in the morning and the table and 2 chairs are squished in a corner. We would upgrade to Jr. Suite if going back again. We are going to try Cayo Levantado (on the island) this time, and it is getting great reviews, but you don't have the miles of beaches for long walks.

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Samana (Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo) vs. Punta Cana

Marilyn thats exactly what im saying about PC,,, way way to crowded now,, some resorts remind me of walrus on the beach , all crowded,

montreal
Level Contributor
649 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Samana (Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo) vs. Punta Cana

A lot of good points, looks like we will book it and give it a try!

Prince Edward...
Level Contributor
285 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Samana (Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo) vs. Punta Cana

Definately Samana over Punta Cana, we are returning to El Portillo tomorrow , we have been all over the Dominican and our favorite spots are La Romana and Samana. For the quieter atmosphere and the beaches are beautiful!! Enjoy your trip!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,553 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Samana (Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo) vs. Punta Cana

I have to agree with the posters who indicated that Samana is a better choice than Punta Cana. We have been going to Punta Cana for over 13 years and this year we went to Cayo Levantado in Samana. I can honestly say that the liklihood of us going back to PC any time soon are pretty much nil. Samana met much more of what we were looking for. It still has the nice laid back tropical charm and unspoiled beauty that we love. It also had much more of a relaxed vibe. Don't get me wrong, PC is a wonderful place but over the last couple of years it has just become too busy for us........

La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Samana (Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo) vs. Punta Cana

So very well put cairo! My sentiments exactly..

Get answers to your questions about Las Terrenas