We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo shop/store?

Which Las Terrenas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
355 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo shop/store?

Is there a store/shop in this hotel where you can buy sunblock (if forgotten), chips, etc. and especially smokes?

Or should we buy what we need at duty free on the way in and then restock from the grocery/market in town? Will be doing a 2 week trip.

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province
Level Contributor
5,689 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo shop/store?

Yes, there're some stores in the resort to buy all sort of things. Just keep in mind that the prices are very high there.

If you plan on going to Las Terrenas (1h walk by the beach from the hotel and i advise you spent at least half a day there.) that's your best option to restock in a local supermarket because you'll pay what the locals pay. Forget the duty free also.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo shop/store?

The choice for smokes in the DR is limited, usually to marlboro , marlboro lts, either newports or marlboro menthol and the local smokes so if you need another brand other than these I'd bring them. They are reasonably priced (about the same or slightly less than here in North Carolina) happy travels, Ben

Collingwood, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo shop/store?

El Portillo has a shop just off the lobby

They sell cigarettes for 6 $ a pack' also a cigarette vending machine at the lobby bar

Sunscreen and lip balm etc. are very expensive

I always bring a carton of cigarettes with me from duty free ' as there are no Canadian cigarettes here and I am not a big fan of American cigarettes

Chips etc . sold in very small bags and very expensive on resort

You will love El Portillo

Edmonton
Level Contributor
206 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo shop/store?

Where is a good place to change money in town?

La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo shop/store?

The best place to exchange money in Samana would be the bank! There is a Scotiabank as well as a few others. I imagine there is also a bank in Las Terranas as well.

Edited: 25 April 2012, 19:24
Las Terrenas...
Level Contributor
410 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo shop/store?

Shogun, hard to explain here, but there are many good ones in LT, if youwant, stop by our spot, we'll be more than happy to guide you to the best one

One love...

Rachel and Terry

Collingwood, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo shop/store?

Shogun Ronnie

Be very careful if you go to Rachel andTerrys "One Love"

They are a little evil and will try to sell you an ice cold Presedente and delicious poutine at a very reasonable price

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
355 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo shop/store?

Do you know if there is also a Scotiabank in Las Terrenas? We generally just use our debit cards to take out cash when needed but would like to avoid fees if possible... if we use Scotiabank there are no fees, just regular exchange rate....

Will Canadian debit card work in all bank machines? Is there a bank machine at El Portillo resort?

Thanks again.

La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo shop/store?

We also deal with Scotiabank and used our bank card at the one in Samana. You're right...no fees. It dispenses Pesos at the days exchange. Hopefully Rachel and Terry will let you know if there is one in LT.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
206 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo shop/store?

That sounds great...thanks Rachel and Terry we were planning on stopping by as it is.