We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car renal in SDQ airport

Columbus, Ohio...
Level Contributor
3 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
car renal in SDQ airport

What is the best car rental company ?? How is the drive from SDQ airport to Las Terrenas area?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: car renal in SDQ airport

I want to answer this caustiously as I do not recommend driving here. While the toll road to LT is in good shape and not a bad drive, anywhere else is a potential problem. The drivers are terrible and drunk a lot on weekends, many roads are in poor shape, lights are poor or non existent and the draconian laws favor the tourist being the guilty party. In the event of an accident the tourist will pay the hospital bill or be jailed. Casa de Conductor insurance will allow the party to be put in a motel instead of jail but the whole process is not good. Car rental can be very expensive as the Insurance alone is $30-$40 per day, gas is close to $6 per gallon.

For those who do ignore the advice and do drive there are some important things to keep in mind:

1. Never drive at night; 2. Watch out for oncoming motos in Your lane; 3. Be prepared to stop when an overloaded truck is in your lane going 5 mph; 4. Take out "full insurance" from the company; 5. Rent from a national chain only, Hertz, Alamo and Budget are good at SDQ; 6. Wear your seatbelt, the green police will take $65 if you don't; 7. In case of accident don't count on your credit card insurance to help you out, you will have to sort out everything ($) before the Police let you leave; 8. Do NOT drive in Santo Domingo; 9. Take a Taxi or Bus for vacation peace of mind.

Edited: 09 February 2013, 15:35
north carolina
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car renal in SDQ airport

MJC it seems you are staying in the Playa Coson area (beautiful beach and very tranquil). This place is quite a ways from the town of Las Terrenas. If you are mostly going to hang around there during your stay and just wish to go to town a few times for groceries or to a restaurant and such you'd be much better to not rent a vehicle. If you have teens with you who would get bored at the same place or are adventurous and wish to do some exploring while in the area the best choice in my opinion would be to rent from a local company and have one of their people pick you up at the airport. This way they do the driving between airport and your place of stay and you have a local company and the owners phone# in case of any mishap to call upon. Patricia at Patricias rentals www.patricia-rent-a-car.com/us/index.htm

is very helpful and can be reached from her websites for questions and reservations. Tell her what you want. Also if you wish to save a bit on the return you could turn in the car in LT and take the bus back to SDQ. Just a suggestion and hope you have a wonderful time in Samana, it's a beautiful area of the DR. BFP

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,612 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car renal in SDQ airport

Both have given you good advice. Driving here for first timers is not to be taken lightly. A simple fenderbender can ruin your vacation not to mention what it will to to your wallet

BObK

DFW
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: car renal in SDQ airport

To piggy back on the original poster's question....(let's assume the decision to rent has been made)

Can anyone comment on their experience w/ a car rental company at SDQ? Who to use, who to avoid?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: car renal in SDQ airport

Read my answer to you in the other post please VIK.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g259440-i2457-k608…

As mentioned above, Alamo, and Hertz are my best at SDQ.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 21:56
Las Terrenas...
Level Contributor
410 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car renal in SDQ airport

You can also find plenty of information in the previous posts about positive experiences from people who have rented a vehicule and everything went fine.

One love

Rachel and Terry

Ontario
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: car renal in SDQ airport

I highly recommend Patricia. We rented for 9days. She sent 2cars to pick us up and drop us at airport.

I have driven 3 trips now in DR - never a problem. Just be aware and careful. I think it is the best way to go - you are free and see the real country. We take candy and other handouts and on the backroads stop and hand stuff out to the small kids - you can't beat the feedback and smiles.

Otherwise you spend way more $$$$$$ on tours from the hotel and are dictated by their schedule.

england
Level Contributor
3,054 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car renal in SDQ airport

WE have never driven at night ,having seen the roads in daylight have decided not to drive in the dark. Must say now having been to Samana four times always book a local english speaking taxi - or a trip via terrystoursamana would be my recommendation. If you are booking a hire car and you dont speak good spanish make sure paperwork is in english and that you check that everything is covered and that the spare tire is in good conditon cos you are going to need it if you drive more than 30 miles....

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car renal in SDQ airport

Reconsider renting a car in the DR.

The laws are not good.

If you get into an accident, they will put both parties in jail until it is resloved and that can take days. You can get insurance that will put you up in a secured 1 star hotel. Just imagine what that would be like!!!

The local drivers are the worst I have ever seen and I'm from Boston.

The taxi we used to check out Hard Rock literally hit 1 car and pushed a motorcycle into a ditch, and I think he was one of the better drivers.

If you really want to drive around go to and island like Curacao, the British VIrgins, or US Virgins.

10. Re: car renal in SDQ airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Las Terrenas