We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much spends?

Which Las Terrenas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
southampton
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
how much spends?

after looking through to forum it looks like cash would be best to take. here's a tricky question - how much do we take for a fortnight? it will be mostly for tipping,the el limon falls trip and a few bits and bobs to bring home.decided to take usd. can you only get pesos from atms,and are there any near the portillo?

thanks

Bedford
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much spends?

There is an ATM machine at the hotel giving pesos, but it seems to break down frequently - certainly when we were there, and the hotel exchange rate is very poor and I am pretty sure they only give pesos too, we just take dollars. Any left over will come in handy for the next trip. You need to take $30 each for entry and exit fees, $56 for the safe which is really essential, and also for the WiFi if you want it in the room, though I managed easily with the free wifi in the lobby, I reckon $200 should very easily cover tips though some will say that is stingy while others will say much less would be fine. If you do the El Limon horse trip you are apparently expected to give the guides $10 each as they are volunteers. Personally I would not choose that trip as my son and his partner who did do it were very upset by the condition of the horses and the treatment they received, but that is just me.

southampton
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much spends?

hi MissFitts, thanks. I was thinking along £500 x usd and a card for back up so along the same lines as you.did your son do the tour with firstchoice or use someone locally? was thinking that we could use our card to pay to save our cash for other things. dont know a lot about el limon,just thought it looked lovely.is going by horseback the only way to do it? if the horses are badly treated it would put me off :-(

Bedford
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much spends?

They did the First Choice tour. They also did the buggy off-road trip with First Choice and they said that was really good fun and excellent value. We all did the zipline trip, but we booked it with toursamanawithterry. MrF and I enjoyed it so much last year that we wanted to introduce the rest of the of the family to it. It is an excellent day out. Terry has a website and picks you up from the hotel. F/C offer it too. Terry only takes cash.

I have read on here that you can do the El Limon trip on foot, and the person said they actually arrived at the Falls before the horses, but I don't have any proper information. Maybe someone else will know.

southampton
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much spends?

thanks for that - i'll see if i can find out. we did the dunnes river falls in jamaica and that was on foot,it was quite a hike,dont know how it compares with el limon but it was really good fun.

manchester
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much spends?

I did el limoncello. A couple of years back, in my opinion it would have to be an very fit person to walk it as it's all uphill on the way and pretty steep too. $10 is the tip I gave to the horse man.

Edited: 03 October 2013, 11:25
Bedford
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much spends?

Shirley, I understood from wherever I read it that the walking route is different from that taken by the horses and is therefore much flatter and easier. Maybe someone who has done it can let us know.

Bedford
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how much spends?

Lardyhead,

I can't find the reference to the walking route being different from the horse route and everyone agrees that the horse trail is rocky, steep in places and muddy, though one reviewer said she walked it with her 14 year old daughter and her two year old child, and it seems that whether you walk or ride it takes at least 30 minutes each way, plus there are a lot of steps to climb down on foot to the falls and then back up again ..

However I did find this review, and though there are very many reviews from people who enjoyed the excusion this is more or less how my son and his partner described it, they were particularly upset that the horses were whipped when they were clearly struggling badly:.

When me and my partner were told about this trip it sounded very good so we booked it there and then with our tour operator. We looked forward to the trip and thought it would be a good day out ( what a mistake that was!) When we arrived at the stables we were given a horse (thats if you could call them that) they were very small and under weight so much that you could see there hips bones and ribs. I got on one horse but then decided to get off it as it was far too skinny to carry anyone, they gave me a bigger horse but it still didnt look healthy. We started to ride up the steep rocky hillside and the horse was unable to get a firm grip and kept slipping but the matter wasnt helped by the guides whipping the horses to get them to go faster. By this time me and my partner wanted to get off the horses and carry them! When we finally reached the top 30 mins later, the horses had no food or water to cool them down and only trees for shade. We then had a small walk ( thats what we got told by tour rep) this turned out to be more like a hike with so many steps to go down that i lost count, plus no hand rails to help you on the slippy steps. Once we got too the bottom there was so many tourists there the beauty of the waterfall was lost. We only got 15 mins there before we had to start the hike back. But once we reached the top again we had to get back on the already exhausted horses for the ride down. My partner asked how many times the horses do this trip a day and was told only once, but once we got to the stables some horses were turned straight around for the next lot of tourists. They didnt even get a chance to have any food or drink after there long ride. By the end of the trip our hearts were in our mouths because we felt so sorry for the horses and guilty for doing this trip. This is a trip i never want to experience again and was not worth the money we paid to see such cruelty.

Visited November 2011

Ask samantha w about El Salto del Limon

southampton
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how much spends?

thanks for finding that MissFitts. i dont think we'll be doing that trip then, i couldn't bear to see those poor horses like that. when we went to tunisia , we didn't go for the carriage ride round PEK because the horses were so thin we didn't think it fair to expect them to pull the cart,and it wasn't very hot when we were there.i think i would feel like the reviewer and want to get off !

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
243 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how much spends?

Lardy, it would be a pity to miss this trip. I agree with the above comments about the condition of the horses, but perhaps we are too quick to compare them to our own well fed horses/cattle (Canada).

This is what we did & thoroughly enjoyed the trip: Booked thru Flora tours. We booked in Las Terrenas at their office, but you can google their web & book from there. We asked to hike & asked for a small group.

We were picked up/dropped off at the EL P. $40pp lunch included (2011) There were 6 in our group (4 of us +2) & guide, plus a couple of locals at the falls. We went early (10ish) & had the falls to ourselves for as long as we wanted (stayed about 40 minutes - one of the locals took 1 son to an underwater cave). Coming down, we passed the huge group on horseback on their way up & were extra happy we had chosen to hike! Also when I started to look a little overheated the locals practically carried me back up the stairs:)

It was very mucky & slippy in places. We are late 50's & not superfit but it wasn't that hard. Highly recommend the trip by hiking & Flora tours-just be clear to them what you require. Also Flora is coming from Las terrenas (10 min) to El P, whereas Tour with Terry is coming from Samana (45 min away)

Agree with MissFitts re spending money. Hotel exchange is awful - tour companies will take USD, as will anywhere in town really, but your change comes in pesos & the rates not good.

Safe travels.

england
Level Contributor
5,647 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how much spends?

If you're interested in seeing the falls but without the crowds... Look out for Jose Miguel.. One of the beach vendors ( he wears #12 on his shirt ) He lives in El Limon and will take you. He'd meet you at the gate and then you could get a taxi or Guagua to El Limon and walk to the falls from the road.. About 30/40min walk..You could arrange it for early morning to miss the heat and the crowds..