We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Cyprus for the day

Thibodaux, Louisiana
Level Contributor
101 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
North Cyprus for the day

I just discovered the amazingly cheap prices for a flight from Istanbul to Lefkosa, and I just can't pass it up. Cyprus looks amazing! If my husband and I flew down for the day (leave Istanbul early-ish and fly back late-ish--trust me, we can do this!), what is our best (read: good balance of affordable and efficient) option for getting to a beach in the Kyrenia area? Our schedule will probably be landing at 9:00 am and flying out at 10:30 pm. I figure that gives us a solid afternoon of beach time and dinner before going back to the airport around 9:00 pm. (Does all that sound about right?)

And what is your favorite beach open to the public in the area? We are looking for something with calm, blue water. Very relaxing. We might bring snorkeling gear, but it depends on how much we feel like carrying with us for a whole day. Also, the beach would need to have bathrooms and food within walking distance.

Money? We are Americans visiting Turkey and Greece during our vacation, so I imagine we'll have some combination of USD, TRY, and EUR with us. What is the preferred currency?

Does all this sound crazy? Anything I'm missing?

Sutton Coldfield...
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Cyprus for the day

Personally I think this is a totally crazy idea but each to his own. Here is another wild suggestion for you to think about; fly into Northern Cyprus, make your way up to the Karpaz national park (right at the top of Cyprus) and stay over night in one of their bungalows. Golden beach is easily the best beach I have ever visited, it is 5km of almost totally deserted golden sands. There is nothing there except for 3 small sites with what they describe as bungalows, I would call them sheds with beds. Take a look at the link below of one of the sites. I personally found this to the best site but arguably the most rustic. But be aware it is a bit Robinson Crusoe with a bed in a shed and a make shift shower but this all ads to the wonderful experience. All the sites will arrange taxies or you could hire a car at the airport and drive.

http://www.bigsandbeach.com/picture.asp#

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
266 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Cyprus for the day

Do you have any idea how long it would take to drive to those Bungalows from the crossing in Famagusta? We always stay in the South but plan on having a few days (and a couple of nights) travelling around the north this year and this looks ideal for a one night stay.

Sutton Coldfield...
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Cyprus for the day

From Famagusta I would estimate between 2 and 3 hours but well worth the effort. The particular bungalows (sheds) I put the link in for is run by a Turkish Cypriot and an English woman so no language problems. The only place you get any people is about half way down the beach all the rest is totally deserted.

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
266 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Cyprus for the day

Thanks for the info, we are in Kapparis for a month from the middle of September so will definately add this to our list of things to do. Sounds ideal for a night away from it all!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: North Cyprus for the day

Does all this sound crazy? Well, initially,my first reaction was yes,but thinking about it , it could be done.Consider this;

The flight from Istanbul will take about 1hr 15 mins.Upon arrival at Ercan airport,you could take a taxi direct to Golden Bay beach just outside Kyrenia,about 45 mins - 1 hr.Golden Bay has good swimming and snorkelling and the beachfront restaurant serves nice food. there is also an outside freshwater shower and changing rooms.There is a charge for using sunbeds and parasols.Return to airport as per arrival.

It will however, be a busy day!!

Hope this helps.Good luck!

PS,take Turkish Lira to spend.

dumfries
Level Contributor
158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Cyprus for the day

Try

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1799783-d339…

It was great!!!

7. Re: North Cyprus for the day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Kyrenia District
Recent Conversations
More Kyrenia District Topics