We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naviera Austral ferry to Puerto Chacabuco

Melbourne
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Naviera Austral ferry to Puerto Chacabuco

Hi guys,

Has anyone here done Naviera Austral ferry to Puerto Chacabuco? It's supposed to arrive at 8pm, isn't it? Is there buses at that time to Coyhaique?

Also read somewhere that NA ferries aren't the most reliable so we may end up being later than 8pm. Nothing we can do about that.Hope there's some kind of last minute accommodation in Puerto Chacabuco.

Thanks!

santiago
Level Contributor
710 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Naviera Austral ferry to Puerto Chacabuco

Yes, that is problem, that ferry can arrive at 21,00 or 22,00, moreover ,at 20,00 you must run to the bus Chacabuco-Puerto Aysen and pray for a seat in the last bus to Coyhaique. The alternative, ask to any driver going in the ferry for a jump to Coyhaique, don´t be shy , the people there is helpful, in that case be sure you have a reservation in a hostel in Coyhaique, you will be arriving at midnight

the other alternative, stay in Chacabuco, there are some basic hotels or cabins. I stayed sometime in Hotel Moraleda, a bit deteriorated, but best than nothing, avoid Loberias del Sur, horrible expensive

www.onchile.com/alojamientos/puerto-chacabuco

Melbourne
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naviera Austral ferry to Puerto Chacabuco

Thanks Fernando! Guess we have to flex our spanish and try to book one night at Puerto Chacabuco over the phone.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naviera Austral ferry to Puerto Chacabuco

In the end we actually arrived a little earlier - 6.45pm but even then I feel it'd be difficult to make to Coyhaique. So thanks again Fernando for your advice!

On the other hand it'd be easy to get to Puerto Aysen - looks like there's a bus waiting for the ferry.

santiago
Level Contributor
710 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Naviera Austral ferry to Puerto Chacabuco

buses Chacabuco P Aysen run every 20 minutes, may be you are at time to catch a bus to Coyhaique, tell the driver "dejeme en terminal de buses a Coyhaique" (drop me in the bus terminal to Coyhaique)

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naviera Austral ferry to Puerto Chacabuco

Hi, I'm planning to take that ferry too. How was the ride? They do not have beds, right? How did you travel on? thanks for the info! Trying to figure the travels out :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naviera Austral ferry to Puerto Chacabuco

I took this ferry from Quellon on the southern tip of Chiloe in to Puerto Chacabuco... Was pretty cheap for that kind of distance ($18.600 CLP), and a really pretty way to get yourself south. We left Quellon on Wednesday night (they also depart Saturday nights as well, I believe) and arrived in Puerto Chacabuco on Friday morning. Long trip, and there are definitely no beds, so if you have a sleeping bag, get it out of your big back before they lock them all up below-deck. Bring lots of food as well, because the only options on board are crisps, instant noodles, microwavable pizza, and refrigerated empanadas. They're not heinously expensive, but you'll want to have other options. Alcohol is "not allowed," but if you drink discreetly on deck, nobody is going to bother you.

After landing in Puerto Chacabuco (they only let you disembark in the morning), there were colectivo drivers waiting at the dock to take passengers to Puerto Aysen. From there, there were buses to Coyhaique that ran once an hour. We were off the boat by 9 am and in Coyhaique by 12 pm. From there, if you're looking to cross the border to Argentina, well, things get a little hairy... You have to get a colectivo driver (they hang outside the UniMarc) to drive you over to Puerto Ibanez, from where you'll take the ferry to Chile Chico. The colectivo drivers only leave once per day and time their arrivals with the ferry departure, which also leaves once per day (the times change depending on the day of the week. Sorry, don't remember when...). My crew and I ended up having to kill the day in Coyhaique while we waited for the Puerto Ibanez colectivo to leave at 5 pm, from where we would take the 8 pm ferry (beautiful sunset on the lake). After that, we spent the night in Chile Chico (plenty of lodging, not much to do though) and arranged a van to take us across the border the next morning. After that, we spent most of the day in Los Antiguos, just across the border, waiting for the once-daily overnight bus to take us down to El Chalten. Logistically complicated but not as hard to do as it sounds. You just ask people what to do next wherever you show up. Don't bother trying to buy tickets/schedule things before hand. Nothing you find online is going to be reliable for more than a few weeks (probably this post included). Beautiful landscape though. I'd recommend taking a day or two in Coyhaique if you've got time... The Valle Rio Simpson was absolutely incredible, and I only got to see it as I blew threw in a rickety bus. I think you can hit the marble caves from Coyhaique or Chile Chico as well. Beautiful part of the country though. Highly recommended!

7. Re: Naviera Austral ferry to Puerto Chacabuco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2017, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about Aisen Region