We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What kind of tent needed for Torres del Paine?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What kind of tent needed for Torres del Paine?

Hi everyone,

I think my question was too specific below.

We have to buy a tent today since BA lost ours and we need some advice from someone who has been to Torres del Paine.

DO we need a super sonic tent or just a good tent with plenty of stakes and guy lines for the high wind conditions? We will be camping at all the Refugios so no wild camping so I imagine that there are trees and ways to shelter ourselves at the Refugios.

Any help will be very very appreciated.

Thank you

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,274 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What kind of tent needed for Torres del Paine?

Choose a low-profile tent with good guylines. An internal guyline option would be best if you can find a tent with one and lots of really good stakes. The sheltered places go to the early arrivals. Earplugs for wind noise are nice.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What kind of tent needed for Torres del Paine?

Thank you dancingmolly.

We are really in a bind because of the rush (BA lost our tent so we have to buy this one today).

Just by chance, do you have any experience with the Marmot Twilight 2 person tent? It is a low profile (I think - it at least looked short when we set it up and the fly has a low angle).

Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What kind of tent needed for Torres del Paine?

You probably don't need a top-of-the-line tent, as long as you try to find sheltered campsites and stake it down well. Of course, the lighter the tent is, the easier it is to carry around. :)

When we were there, the refugios also had tents for rent. If TDP is the only place you're planning to camp, this might be a good option.

I had a quick look on the web at the marmot tent you're considering, and it should be more than adequate.

Earplugs are a good suggestion--there was a lot of wind noise some nights.

4. Re: What kind of tent needed for Torres del Paine?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 17:17