We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice needed for Chilean & Argentinian Patagonia

chicago, il
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary advice needed for Chilean & Argentinian Patagonia

I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip for my wife and I to this area and need some advice. My plan is to fly into Calafate and getting a rental car, then depending on arrival time, either driving straight to Torres del Paine or staying in Calafate for one night then heading to TDP first thing the next morning. for a 3 night stay. My primary goal of visiting TDP is for photographing Los Cuernos (hence the need for the car) but I am dedicating one day for the Torres trail.

After TDP I will be driving to El Chalten (depending on length of drive, may have to stop in Calafate for a night). Once in Chalten, I will be spending a few days trekking in the area. So, some questions:

1. What area would people recommend for basing themselves with good panoramic views of the Cuernos, is the best option near Rio Serrano?

2. I need a hotel room (more secure than a refugio) so does anyone have any recommendations aside from the expensive options (Explora, etc) that offer good vistas of the Cuernos?

3. How long are the drives from Calafate to TDP, and from Calafate to Chalten?

Thanks in advance for any information.

puerto natales...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice needed for Chilean & Argentinian Patagonia

Hi Red!!

1.- to see the cuernos, the best area with closer and beatifull views is around Pehoe Lake and Salto Grande ( - salto grande is a waterfall located at the Pehoe Lake area). the most famous lookout point in the area are:

condor lookout point = 45 up hill "OW" fom camping pehoe sodexo(located next to the road)"clear path and easy"

Salto Grande = 10 min "OW" from the parking place located in the area of PUDETO RANGER STATION in pehoe lake.(clasic views of the cuernos) very easy

Cuernos lookout point = 1hrs from salto grande to get to nordensjold lake located in front of the cuernos. this look out is the closer view of the cuerno.

I SUGEST SALTO GRANDE AND CUERNOS LOOK OUT POINT: 2,5HRS ROUD TRIP. EASY WALK.

AROUD SERRANO AREA YOU HAVE A PANORAMICS VIEWS OF ALL THE PAINE MASIFF INCLUDED THE CUERNOS.

2.-HOSTERIA PEHOE is a Hosteria cheaper than EXPLORA and located even closer to the cuernos on a island in the pehoe lake. ABOUT SERVICE IN PEHOE I RECOMEND READ SOME REPORT HERE IN TRIPADVISOR TO HAVE AND IDEA OF THE PLACE.

SERRANO AREA OFFER DIFERENT OPTIOS OF HOSTERIA LIKE.

CABAAS DEL PAINE . HOSTERIA TYNDALL - HOTERIA LAGO DEL TORO - HOTEL RIO SERRANO.

AT THE ADMINISTRATION AREA THERE IS A PLACE CALL "POSADA RIO SERRANO" this is the cheaper place to stay in the park. (kind of refuge with private rooms) administration area is located 10 min from serrano area and 25 min from salto grande and pehoe lake.

3.- depends:

via: esperanza/cancha carrera border (all paviment untill to get to the border) 5.5hrs (arriving to Sarmiento entrance at TDP)

via: La Cortada/cancha carrera border (paviment and dirt road) 4.5hrs from el calafate to the canchacarrera border you will hve 2 hrs of paviment and 1 hrs of dirt road that is the shortcut = cortada

from el calafate to el chalten = 3 hrs all paviment except 5 km in the midle.(estancia la leona/hosteria) main stop on the waly to el chalten for a good coffe!

best regards from patagonia

eduardo

guide of patagonia

chicago, il
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice needed for Chilean & Argentinian Patagonia

Eduardo,

Thank you so much, this is great information!

Do you know if I am staying in the area of Cabanas del Paine or Hosteria Lago del Toro how long of a drive it is to the area near Hosteria Pehoe?

Santiago
Level Contributor
493 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice needed for Chilean & Argentinian Patagonia

From Serrano area to Pehoe area it is a 25 min drive.

Anyway please note that the Serrano area is maybe not a "nice area" for staying there.

As Eduardo says, is true that Pehoe is much much cheaer than Explora, but both are different product, for different kind of guest.

Explora is an all inclusive luxury hotel with a very good services, meals and works with very high standards, I would say is one of the better hotels in South America.

On the other side, Pehoe is all the oposite to Explora, but with great views.

Other options with a much better service are are Host. Lago Grey and specially Patagonia Camp (please check out the reviews at TA).

good luck...

puerto natales...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice needed for Chilean & Argentinian Patagonia

Hi red!

you should considerate 25 to 35 min to get to pehoe area and 45 min to get to Salto Grande (best views of the cuernos) road is not in perfect conditions so, you should go slow in some parts.

check this link wehre you will see 4 diferent maps includind the acces to the park and (natales - paine route) this maps will show you the 2 diferente ways to get to the park. serrano acces (directly to serrano area) or sarmiento y laguna amarga acces ( if you have enought time to drive into the parkbefore to get to serrano area.

also here you will see the map of the park. (this map is the best one about the park) and to identify where is located serrano area ( cabañas del paine-hosteria lago del toro-hosterua tyndall) look for HOETL RIO SERRANO IN THE MAP. are all in the same area.

http://www.territoriosur.com/mapas-en.php

keep in touch!

eduardo

5. Re: Itinerary advice needed for Chilean & Argentinian Patagonia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2009, 06:15