We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go by rental car to Torres del Paine

Magdebug/Germany
Level Contributor
88 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Go by rental car to Torres del Paine

Hello,

in December we want to go from El Calafate to Torres del Paine. We will stay three nights in hosteria Tyndall and one night in hosteria Las Torres. We want to rent a car in El Calafate. We need the car to drive from El Calafate to the park and in the park and in the park to come to the starting point of the hikes. Which Type type of car we must rent - 4x4 or normal ?

New York, New York
Level Contributor
148 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Go by rental car to Torres del Paine

We took a bus from El Calafate to Puerto Natales and then rented a car and drove into TDP park. The roads are unpaved, loose rock, but not treacherous by any means. We had a 4 X 4 (not necessary) but our friends rented a car and they got a flat tire. Renting a car forTDP is the way to go because you can stop whenever you like. Enjoy! TDP is breathtaking; I wish I could go back.

Magdebug/Germany
Level Contributor
88 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Go by rental car to Torres del Paine

Hello flowergilla,

thank you for information. We will rent a 4x4car. It will be the best.

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Go by rental car to Torres del Paine

Hello Geograph

I am planning a similar trip for january, El => Calafate to Torres del Paine but I was told not cross the border by car, so I decided to go to El Calafate to Puerto Natales by bus and then rent a car in Puerto Natales ..

A friend of mine rent a 4x4 car last year to go to TDP from Puerto Natales ans she told me it~s necessary a 4 x4 although the agency have recomend one ...

I will be galf to exchange information about the trip with you ...

neves.claudia@globo.com

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Go by rental car to Torres del Paine

Hi, I am am another Claudia from Brasil. I m planning a similar trip in march.

Can anybody tell me how far is it to drive from Bariloche to Calafate?

How are the roads?

Regards

Claudia

5. Re: Go by rental car to Torres del Paine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2006, 04:25
Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
95 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Go by rental car to Torres del Paine

We have rented a car in El Calafate and plan to drive to TDP in late December. If anyone believes this will be a bad experience please say so while we can still change our plans.... Two people I emailed - one at a hotel in El Calafate and one at a hosteria in TDP indicated that this was a do-able trip...

New York, NY
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Go by rental car to Torres del Paine

I, too, am renting a car and driving from Puntas Arenas to TDP, and then on to El Calafate and El Chalten. I've heard the roads are bad, but no one has said we shouldn't do it. To cross the border, you need an International Drivers License (easily obtained by filling out a form online - do a google search). I've rented a small truck, to be safe. But I know how to change a tire, too!

New York, NY
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Go by rental car to Torres del Paine

Katie, which wwebsite would you suggest for the IDL? Google throws up several and some might be scam sites. If you could recommend one you have used it would be most helpful. Thanks in Advance!!

Puerto Natales...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Go by rental car to Torres del Paine

You dont need International driver licence in chile or argentina.

the best alternative is a pick up, I rented last year in a local company.

If do you want more info, write me:

rodrigopink@hotmail.com

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,381 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Go by rental car to Torres del Paine

You do need an international driving license plus your usual license in order to rent a car from most companies. There is a stand outside arrivals at the airport next to the car rental stands which advertises them. Or you could get one through the AAA:

…aaa.com/scripts/…route

They have an online form to fill in:

www.aaa.com/vacation/idpapplc.html…

This has good information on renting a car in Chile:

chipsites.com/chile-travel/rent-a-car-tips.h…