We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Circuit Trek: Food

Germany
2 posts
Save Topic
Circuit Trek: Food

My wife and I intend to hike the Circuit in Torres del Paine. We are going to take a tent, so we'll be quite indepent as far as accommodation is concerned. But how much food should we carry?

I take it that there are several places along the Circuit that offer warm meals and/or sell food supplies. I also understand that this is quite pricey, but our objective is to minimize the weight of our backpacks, not necessarily to save money.

Can someone tell us where along the Circuit one can buy food, and what the longest stretch is for which one has to carry supplies?

Thanks!

Santiago
Level Contributor
493 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Circuit Trek: Food

Hi Pisco Lover (good nick !!!)

It depends on which circuit are you talking about.

The most populars are the W Circuit (5 days) and the big circuit around the whole park (10 days).

For the first one you don't even need to carry food as there are shelters or refugges along the whole circuit, places where you can buy some food or to eat, or to cook

If you do the second one, there are some long treks where you will not find any place to buy any kind of food so you will certainly nned to carry food there.

There are some stops where you will have to lodge in which you will only find a place for your tent.

Now, in most of the cases, options are not too much anyway.

Germany
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Circuit Trek: Food

Hi gazpachon,

Thanks for your quick answer. I was referring to the full Circle, not to the W.

Perhaps my question was not completely clear. I know that we'll have to carry food - the question is: HOW MUCH?

We'll probably want to buy sufficient supplies for the longest stretch in advance (most likely in Santiago, perhaps in Puerto Natales), and then buy more food along the trail as we need it.

So there are basically two questions:

1) What is the longest distance on the Circle between two points that sell food supplies? This (plus some margin) will determine how much food we need to bring, and the maximum weight of our backpacks.

2) Which are these two points? It's clearly best to try to hike the longest stretch between supply points first, because then one can continue with less food (= lighter backpack) later on.

From what I found on various web sites we may have to carry sufficient provisions for the hike from Refugio Las Torres to Refugio Grey (going counter-clockwise), which may take up to five days (including one "reserve" day). This assumes that one cannot buy food at Refugio Dickson, but that it is possible at Refugio Grey. Is this true? It further assumes that the distances between supply points are much shorter on the second part of the way from Refugio Grey to Refugio Las Torres along the W. Again, is this true?

I'd appreciate any information because it makes quite a difference whether one has to carry food for three, five, or ten days!

Thanks!

3. Re: Circuit Trek: Food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 02:17