We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perth to Alice via Great Central Highway

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Perth to Alice via Great Central Highway

Can anyone please advise if they have travelled late December to Early January to Alice from Perth via the Great Central Highway. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We have a Jayco Camper trailer and 4WD. We have 3 weeks to do an all-round trip.

6 replies to this topic
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,635 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perth to Alice via Great Central Highway

I could be wrong but I have the feeling there are Aboriginal lands you have to get permission to enter along that route.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,796 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perth to Alice via Great Central Highway

It's usually a good road, but that's not the time of year that I have travelled it. (Nor would I choose too. Too hot and a chance of wet.)

Anyway, this is the best website to research the trip: exploroz.com/TrekNotes/WDeserts/Great_Centra…

Luigi

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,635 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perth to Alice via Great Central Highway

If you're determined to go on the Great Camping Trek then, have you considered the south coast- Esperance, since you have three weeks maybe even SA or into Victoria?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perth to Alice via Great Central Highway

Yes we did Esperance/SA Peninsula last December and hubby wanted to go somewhere else this Dec. Thank you for your reply - its back to map reading:)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perth to Alice via Great Central Highway

Thank you for your info, I did find this site on the web so am browsing through this.

Cheers

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,478 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perth to Alice via Great Central Highway

The temps you get will be extremely hot at that time of year. You can get days of mid 40's. And did i Mention the flies?

Reply to: Perth to Alice via Great Central Highway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted