We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Cove - snorceling/ scuba diving in Great Barrier Reef

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
69 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Palm Cove - snorceling/ scuba diving in Great Barrier Reef

Hi!

I need advise for visiting The Great Barrier Reef. We - two adults - are staying 5 nights at Palm Cove in November. We are looking for good visiting trips to Reefs which includes snorceling or scuba diving in Reef with an assistance. We don´t have any experience for diving.

Any recommendations for specific tour operators etc?

Thank you!

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
400 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palm Cove - snorceling/ scuba diving in Great Barrier Reef

Hi

We are also staying in Palm Cove in November and are 2 adults 1 child. There is quicksilver or poisiden (sorry if the spelling is wrong)

www.tropicalaustralia.com.au

I have been using TA for all my planning for our 5 week trip to Oz in Oct/Nov and this is a snippit of the info on Palm Cove area

"Great Barrier Reef - A trip to the Agincourt Reef will be the highlight of your visit to tropical north Queensland. I went on the Quicksilver when last there, but there are many others. They either leave from Cairns or Port Douglas. Suggest you take a boat that leaves from PD as the drive from Palm Cove is not too dissimilar to the GOR"

Hope this helps a bit.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palm Cove - snorceling/ scuba diving in Great Barrier Reef

I recommend SilverSonic. Haba and Poseidon also get good reviews on here.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
69 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palm Cove - snorceling/ scuba diving in Great Barrier Reef

Hi all!

Thank you for your help. I´ve already booked two Great Barrier Reef days. One with Calypso from PD because it takes less customers to the Reef than other companies.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palm Cove - snorceling/ scuba diving in Great Barrier Reef

I took a day trip to the reef in June with Sunlover Cruises, booked here - http://www.godo.com.au/activity/SUCR102 or http://www.godo.com.au/activity/SUCR100.

With no prior diving experience I went scuba diving which was magnificent I had huge turtles, nemo and even the resident groper - Wally say hello. They have an underwater photographer too, so I've got a great shot of me. As my mum is asthmatic she went snorkelling, but had just as good a time.

It was great as it gave you several options - scuba diving, helmet diving, snorkelling and they also had a glass bottom boat. Depending on the activities you choose prices start from approx $100

The supplier was great - really professional and friendly staff.

One very important piece of advice - take sea sick tablets and peppermints to settle your stomach for the journey out to the reef..

Enjoy!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,195 posts
1,437 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palm Cove - snorceling/ scuba diving in Great Barrier Reef

ah thanks for sharing your experience, its nice to get some feedback on tours to the GBR.

Hamilton & Waikato...
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palm Cove - snorceling/ scuba diving in Great Barrier Reef

Hi we have just returned from Palm Cove (Oct 24) & can highly recommend Reef Magic from Cairns.There are many operators to choose from & deciding on one is difficult.One of us is a very infrequent swimmer & had never snorkeled until we went out with these guys they were great,it was a superb day & the never before snorkeler is now a convert.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palm Cove - snorceling/ scuba diving in Great Barrier Reef

For one day out on the Reef, which tour operator takes you to the place with the clearest water?

Hamilton & Waikato...
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palm Cove - snorceling/ scuba diving in Great Barrier Reef

As already stated we enjoyed the Reef Magic trip very much,the visibility was good at 10-15m.I think the outer reef trips are probably a better bet for water clarity.We also did a day trip to the Low Isles & while this was also a good day,with turtles being a bonus,the visibility was no where near as good as on the outer reef.

9. Re: Palm Cove - snorceling/ scuba diving in Great Barrier Reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 17:19