We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical North Queensland Holiday?

Which Palm Cove hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
tasmania
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Tropical North Queensland Holiday?

Hi my husband and i are planning a trip to Cairns, Palm Cove and Port Douglas. We were planning on going late oct 2009 to early nov. About 11 nights we think. What i would like to know is how many nights do you think we need at each place? We want a relaxing time but also to be able to do some activities without being full on the whole time. Have always wanted to visit these three places and i am so excited but need some advice especially from people who live or have holidayed here. Thankyou!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropical North Queensland Holiday?

I accumulated months of travel here before living here. I love the fact you move around, best way imo. Though I would add in another stop lol.Maybe tableland or FNQ outback. Or two and add Mission beach hee, hee, will have you here for a month if I carry on so will stop. The number of nights would depend on what you want to do in each area. Palm Cove would probably have the fewest nights so would have as honeymoon nights :) Lovely places.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropical North Queensland Holiday?

This is a fantastic area and you will absolute love it! My partner and I certainly do. There is so much to see and do. We frequent the area and there's still plenty of things that we haven't seen yet.

I agree with Verdant. With 11 nights you should also squeeze in another destination. The Tablelands are beautiful and will be a little cooler than the coast. Or you could even head up to Cape Tribulation for a couple of nights.

Here's my GoList to get you started:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i16655-Great_si…

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropical North Queensland Holiday?

templc, Have you been to Chillagoe Cabins? A huge highlight for us from our travel days though not sure how many good factors came into play. Other guests a scream, trying wild caving for the first time and being a bit tubby and over forty trying to squeeze into a hole in the ground lol, could not stop laughing, the hosts had lots of rescued widlife for us to feed after dinner, huge slabs of marble just by the roadside from mining .The quirky ford musuem. Maybe never go back in case it is not the same as I remember. Sometimes great memories are due to good timing.

tasmania
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropical North Queensland Holiday?

Thankyou all so much! I love hearing other peoples opinions and experiences. Will look into these other ideas thanks.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropical North Queensland Holiday?

Verdant, not been to Chillagoe yet. It is on our list. Friends went last year and raved about it. Also, Undara. The same friends went there in October and loved it. Another one that we will get to eventually... :-)

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropical North Queensland Holiday?

Undara was good except felt I was on a school excursion that took away a little. Same story goes though, can depend on the day. We broke ranks then felt guilt like I was a rebellious teenager, wondered why I never felt guilty about that when I actually was lol.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropical North Queensland Holiday?

PD 4 nights, PC 3 nights CNS 4 nights .... no, no, no, .... PD 3 nights, PC 2 nights, CNS 6 nights .... bugger it!

Tough question ... do I spend 4 nights in Lonnie, 3 at St Helens and 4 at Hobart ....

There is so much to do and SO MUCH accommodation I would book a couple of nights in Cairns to start, do a few of the "must sees" (Cafe China, Kuranda, Sky Rail, maybe reef if weather is kind .. PD has better reefs closer and Cooktown even better ... sorry Cairns'o'files) ... and drift north as you get the vibe. Best advice? Hire a car and do it on your time. Oct/Nov is stinger season so search this site for more good advice.

tasmania
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropical North Queensland Holiday?

Thankyou for your advice. I am so excited about this trip even though it is a long way off. Do not want to miss anything worth seeing while there. I do understand you will not get to do everything but if i love it no doubt i will be back!

9. Re: Tropical North Queensland Holiday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 11:23