We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire Cairns Airport Or Palm Cove???

Which Palm Cove hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car Hire Cairns Airport Or Palm Cove???

Hi I will be staying in palm Cove for 4 nights with my wife and two young kids.

Are we best to hire a car from the airport or Palm Cove?

At least by getting it fom the airport, we don't have the transfer costs to PC.

Also any suggestions on affordable rental companies?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire Cairns Airport Or Palm Cove???

Hi,

Its best to pick up a car from the airport. Its very easy as the airport is small and the roads from the airport are well sealed and sign posted.

All major car hire companies operate from Cairns Airport. www.avis.com.au www.thrifty.com.au www.budget.com.au

Melbourne
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire Cairns Airport Or Palm Cove???

Hi bsprout,

I agree with Ellemay and hire a car from the airport. Each airline is aligned with a particular hire company so you will be offered a discount when you present your boarding pass. To be honest they are all very similar hire companies and equally friendly staff at Cairns.

The drive from Cairns to Palm Cove is stress free, turning right out of the airport and following the signs to Palm Cove. Lot's of "roundabouts" to conquer :) Taxi and shuttle buses are expensive and the car hire will work out much cheaper even over the four days. There is a large supermarket just before Palm Cove to stock up on good wines and nibbles for afternoon aperetifs. This will save a considerable amount as the stores in Palm Cove have an inflated price on non essential items

You will love your time at Palm Cove and don't forget to book dinner at NuNu. It is worth the treat!

central coast nsw
Level Contributor
522 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire Cairns Airport Or Palm Cove???

Hi,

I have just returned from Cairns within the last week & offer the following.

As others have suggested, yes the major's are all at cairns airport & there are some reasonable deals to be had.

However, there are a number of local companies that do very good rates. We used Cruising Car Rentals ( www.cruisingcarrental.com.au ) and picked up a deal for $50 a day for 3 days - flat rate, no airport taxes or extra add-ons. By comparison, I get gold rates thru Hertz & their best deal was $270 for the same 3 day deal so sometimes local's can do better.

Also, cruising will allow you to take their cars as far north as Cape Tribulation - not all the others do so i would suggest you check them all out.

Check with where you are staying as lots of local accom places include complimentary airport transfer,if so i'd suggest you get the car off a local company.

Happy to help with other q's - pm in need.

Melbourne
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire Cairns Airport Or Palm Cove???

Thanks everybody for the suggestions it all sounds very easy.

By the way anybody looking for a good accom sight, try STAYZ.COM.AU this is the 2nd time we have used them.

We are staying at Sea Temple on a crazy cheap deal.

Cheers

5. Re: Car Hire Cairns Airport Or Palm Cove???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2009, 15:30
andynett
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire Cairns Airport Or Palm Cove???

Hi we read your info on car hire and we have also received good rates from them for our travel 8 nights in sep'09. We are staying at Paradise Palms Country Club & Resort, what are the best things to do and see on our trip that are kid friendly (2)and (8) Thanks Again for the great heads up.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire Cairns Airport Or Palm Cove???

Andynett - you're really better to post your questions in a new thread in the Cairns/Palm Cove Forum. This is a few months old now and the subject line is not relevant to the questions you're asking so you might not get too many responses to it.

8. Re: Car Hire Cairns Airport Or Palm Cove???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2010, 05:15