We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Cove in the summer?

Which Palm Cove hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Waterlooville...
Level Contributor
112 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Palm Cove in the summer?

We are going to Australia in December and January and wanted to visit Palm Cove (I have been before a few years back and loved it). However we have been slightly put off by the fact it is summer and therefore rainy season / cyclones, and jellyfish season!

Travel agents have told us plenty of people visit Palm Cove at this time of year, we just want to know if it's feasible and also if we will still be able to go in the sea and see the Great Barrier Reef.

Also - if it is feasible to go there at that time of year - has anyone been to Alassio Apartments or able to recommend a nice place to stay there?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palm Cove in the summer?

Hi Milly80.

Yes many, many people go to North Queensland during the summer period. It would be like visiting Florida during the summer and Hurricane Season. There is always a chance that one may come in while you are visiting but the whole tourist industry does not shut down during the cyclone season. You will certainly be able to go on your reef trip- unless you are unlucky that your trip coincides with the expected arrival of a cyclone. Tourist operators are very safety conscious but only close down these tours if the cyclone is in the immediate area- some years they would never need to shut down operations.

Yes it is the middle of Jellyfish season- that is why most places have a swimming pool- I don't know Alassio Apartments but there web site should tell you if they do. You will still be able to walk along the beach- just don't be tempted to padddle in the water. If you are on a reef trip they have stinger proof suits you use to make swiiminmg in the ocean safe.

Go ahead and plan your trip- it will be a wonderfu break from the UK cold. Have a wonderful time.

Waterlooville...
Level Contributor
112 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palm Cove in the summer?

Thank you for your reply.

I read online that Palm Cove uses nets in the water to give safe areas to swim in? Is this true? It would be a shame to miss swimming in the sea entirely!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palm Cove in the summer?

Yes Millie- it would appear Palm Cove does have a stinger proof / resistant enclosure so you can swim in the sea safely. I haven't been there personally myself but have been to other beaches with them. Have a look at this web site.

http://www.qldbeaches.com/stingers.html

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
185 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palm Cove in the summer?

We go down every year but this year we wre in Palm Cove in December rather than June/July period and there is a large stinger enclosure in the water so you can swim safely. We just used the pool in the holiday house we stay at. We quite enjoyed Palm Cove in a different season it was lovely as usual.

5. Re: Palm Cove in the summer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2010, 05:18