We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Douglas

Which Palm Cove hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Port Douglas

Hi All,...... going to Cairns in November for 5 days and wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to where to stay? We're not talking our kids as it is for our 20th Anniversay......any suggestions? Looked at Peppers but that seems to be more for families??/ Thanks heaps for any suggestions that may come my way!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
279 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Port Douglas

Yes they have nets and yo are limited to one or two beaches at most so one hopes the wind is not against you. As a food reviewer and travel writer lets take two facts for the last year:

Port Douglass food festival last year all exhibitors admitted that all the sea food was frozen or were you referring to the only non fried dish the freshly thawed trawler caught prawns. Yes fresh seafood is available if the restaurant has flown it in from Sydney, though they tell me the locals won't pay the price! The Sydney fish market sucks in most fresh fish as it pays a higher dollar than any one else. Why don't you contact the largest fish wholesaler up there Queensland Prawn and Ice (Brisbane, Gold Coast) and ask what day they actually have fresh fish as of this morning it's still Tuesday and Thursday and it is flown in from New Zealand. If you are lucky you may score some from a local fisher man. In most cases FRESH seafood in Queensland at the restaurants that have it is very expensive.

Most good restaurants close over the wet season or has that changed!

In stinger season haven't you noticed the Life Saving signs that still reccomend that you use a stinger suit even in a net!

I am up there again for the Aboriginal Arts Festival to review accomadation and restaurants.

A few years ago a college asked Queensland Consumer affairs about selling frozen seafood a s fresh and was told, " if it is freshly frozen on the trawler when it is caught, it can be legally sold as fresh, regardless how long it's in storage.

My third trip up there this year two more two go and I will listen to every one winge that everithing is dead because of the Aussie dollar. Though when you go to Broome and Ningaloo it's still in Australia and they are booming, Queensland pick up your act.

My 2cents worth and I make a living from what I write.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,935 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Port Douglas

Then you need to learn how to spell!

;)

Horsham
Level Contributor
40 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Port Douglas

Hi Trish

We are heading to Palm Cove for the third time in September (stay at holiday houses usually with relatives), great place to run, barefoot on the beach is good.

Nu Nu Restaurant is a great spot for breakfast, and Numi Icecream has fantastic coffee (and great icecream!).

Far Horizons Restaurant has the most amazing outlook and atmosphere of anywhere I have ever eaten, not cheap but incredibly romantic!

Have a sensational time, it is an amazing laid back, serene place.

Cheers

Roger

Horsham
Level Contributor
40 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Port Douglas

Poohbel......

Your spelling is atrocious.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Port Douglas

Hi Roger, Wow....wow......thanks a million for your reply!!!!! I am soooooo excited to be heading that way! Great to hear about the coffee too as both my man and I adore coffee and it's so hard to find good coffee! will definitely give your recommenations a go......looking forward to running and eating for 5 days........ :)

Thanks again Roger!

Cheers

Trish

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Port Douglas

Good choice, we stayed there in March on our 21st anniversary and loved it.

17. Re: Port Douglas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 12:17