We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Cove or Cairns ?

Kelowna, B.C.
Level Contributor
163 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Palm Cove or Cairns ?

Travelling without a car ----is Cairns a better option or Palm Cove ?

Access Daintree ?

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palm Cove or Cairns ?

Without a car you are going to be pretty much reliant on taking tours as public transport is fairly limited.

I would pick Palm Cove over Cairns any time - lovely beach whereas Cairns only has the Esplanade lagoon. However tours would pick you up from both places.

Palm Cove is north of Cairns so a little closer to Daintree, however you would still be looking at a 1-2 hour drive each way from Palm Cove so if you have the time I'd suggest splitting your stay between Palm Cove and Daintree.

Edited: 22 August 2011, 23:33
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,404 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palm Cove or Cairns ?

Hi,

Another vote for Palm Cove - however without a car it can be limiting. Can you hire one ?? The roads are excellent with little traffic & well sign posted.

As mentioned you can always just do tours.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
338 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palm Cove or Cairns ?

Palm cove is fantastic, the bus from cairns runs as far out as palm cove and if staying there it is easy to walk around. If you want to travel north then palm cove car hire are fabulous also.

Kelowna, B.C.
Level Contributor
163 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palm Cove or Cairns ?

Thanks to everyone for your help. Palm Cove & a car hire sounds like the way to go. Appreciate your help !

New Zealand
Level Contributor
338 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palm Cove or Cairns ?

Not sure who you are traveling with or your budget for accommodation but we stayed at Sarayi in Palm cove in June and would strongly recommend, we stayed as a couple but I believe they have larger rooms..there are a lot of hotels and even a camping ground in Palm cove.

Kelowna, B.C.
Level Contributor
163 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palm Cove or Cairns ?

Thank you --I an travelling with my wife. We prefer public transport. Is there public transport that gets you in & out of Palm Cove ?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
338 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palm Cove or Cairns ?

Yes there is a public bus service that runs from cairns to palm cove, quite a regular service and very inexpensive. It stops off at most of the beaches etc on the way up so can take approx an hour. Last us is possibly as late as 10pm or 11pm out of Cairns. If traveling from the airport there are various shuttle services to the nthn beaches and some hotels have transfers also.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palm Cove or Cairns ?

This might help:-

sunpalmtransport.com/Cairns_Port_Douglas_Tra…

9. Re: Palm Cove or Cairns ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2012, 23:16