We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help us plan Airlie Beach-Whitsundays trip!

Los Angeles...
6 posts
Save Topic
Please help us plan Airlie Beach-Whitsundays trip!

My husband and I are in our late 20's and are planning a 2-week trip to Australia this month. We begin our trip with a couple of days in Sydney, we have one week in Cairns, where we'll do a 3-day/2-night 11-dive liveaboard. After that, we fly to MacKay mid-day on 22nd August and fly out of MacKay early 26 August to head straight back to the US.

Right now we are planning to rent a car to drive from MacKay to Airlie Beach and we are looking into 2-night sailing trips in the Whitsundays out of Airlie Beach. Looking to depart on the sailing trip Thursday (23 Aug) and return Saturday sometime (25 Aug), to drive back down to MacKay possibly Sat night. Obviously we are looking for the best deal but not too cheap that the trip is too sketchy or a very crowded party boat. What boats are recommended?

I would appreciate any help! And I have more questions, too:

Is it recommended that we book our sailing trip and hotels before arriving? We have heard that we can get deals when we arrive, but are concerned about not being able to book a sailing trip that goes Thurs-Sat, and that is our only option.

I am a little concerned about seasickness on the sailing boats, especially after spending 3 days on a liveaboard dive boat. Any tips or certain boats that are recommended?

We are also looking into sea kayaking through Salty Dog, but it seems just as expensive as sailing. Thanks in advance for any advice on our plans!!

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Please help us plan Airlie Beach-Whitsundays trip!

That's what we like to hear. cheers airlian

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Please help us plan Airlie Beach-Whitsundays trip!

I liked the Shamrock Hotel/Motel in Mackay.

Tip: It's Mackay, not MacKay, and it's pronounced Ma-kye by most people.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Please help us plan Airlie Beach-Whitsundays trip!

Not if your born & bred it's Mackay and pronounced Mc A and a couple of hours will be plenty. cheers airlian

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Please help us plan Airlie Beach-Whitsundays trip!

Bry Girl -- How was your trip? Hope you enjoyed it..

Would be interested to know where you booked and what you would you recommend, as me and my boyfriend are planning a weeks trip to whitsundays while visiting friends in sydney..

15. Re: Please help us plan Airlie Beach-Whitsundays trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 16:19
Get answers to your questions about Airlie Beach