We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Barrior Reef experience

manchester
Level Contributor
196 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Great Barrior Reef experience

This may seem a silly question but we are only at Arlie Beach for 1 day, our cruise ship is offering excursions to Knuckle Reef Pontoon or Reefworld Pontoon, which is the better experience or are they both the same? Thanks

Blackpool
Level Contributor
624 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Barrior Reef experience

Hi,

I don't know, but both sound like a trip of a life time. Tough choice.

It's something I've always wanted to do, so whichever you choose, I'm sure it will be a memorable experience for you.

Have a great time.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Barrior Reef experience

Knuckle Reef is a newer pontoon.. I have been to both and it is my pick of the two.

california
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Barrior Reef experience

hello,

i'm interested on which did you end up going with. we will be taking 10 day cruise from sidney in nov. 2009 and will be tendered for one day in airlie beach,cairns and port douglas. can you give us some tips and share your experiences from your cruise? thank you.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Barrior Reef experience

Hi Colina

I hope you enjoy your cruise.

While both reef trips are similar there are still a few differences. The main difference is the reef trip to Knuckle reef has a much nicer and larger boat with stabilizers, which means if it is rough you are less likely to get sea sick and enjoy your reef adventure! Plus also what Sailbabe mentioned above.

Have a great time exploring the great barrier reef!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
824 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Barrior Reef experience

We went to Knuckle Reef in 2007 and loved it. We would love to go back!

airliebeach
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Barrior Reef experience

Knuckle Reef is a further 30 minutes on the boat out than at Hardy Reef. Both trips are great. Both boats are large catamarans. Very similar in price as well. Knuckle Reef is $199 and Hardy Reef is $195. Don't beat yourself up as they are very similar. Done both and quite a few times.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Barrior Reef experience

On the above mentioned price, Cruise Whitsundays do a 2 day special with Knuckle Reef and Camira for A$195 (but as you booked on your ship the price could have been anything)...

Hardy Reef is different (in regards to coral) to Knuckle Reef but they do offer a similar trip, for an extra 1/2 an hour I would be more after the premium location then travel time.

Colina it would be interesting to know what you ended up choosing and what the other passengers thought of the two products.

8. Re: Great Barrior Reef experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2010, 05:17