We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns/Prosperine/whitsundays/Prosperine/Hervey Bay

Which Airlie Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Cairns/Prosperine/whitsundays/Prosperine/Hervey Bay

I am trying to plan my trip to Oz next Septemeber/October, yes 11 months in advance, and was thinking about doing the following, and wonder whether anyone thinks this is an ok plan. Of course this is only a small part of my trip to Oz, but I would love to see the Whitsundays, especially whitehaven beach.

After seeing various things around Cairns, I would fly from Cairns down to Prosperine, I would then take the bus to Arline Beach. I would then take a 3 night sail on board one of the sailing yachts around the Whitsunday islands.

I would then take the bus back from Arline beach to Prosperine airport, then fly from Prosperine to Hervey Bay, to see the Humpback whales.

Dave

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns/Prosperine/whitsundays/Prosperine/Hervey Bay

There are no direct flights between Hervey Bay and Proserpine.. you will have to fly to Brisbane then back up to Hervey..

If you come up to the Whitsunday Islands in August/September you should be able to see the Whales in the Whitsundays (since this is were they come to have there babies).. If you book a cruise that goes to the 'Outer' reef you can find between 50 - 100 Whales in peak season around Bait Reef.

Myself personally would be doing Hervey Bay mainly for Fraser Island.. these two places are regarded by most international travelers as their highlight to Oz.

SB

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns/Prosperine/whitsundays/Prosperine/Hervey Bay

Last I checked no direct flight from Cairns to Proserpine either. Direct flight from Cairns to Hamilton Island which is in the Whitsundays.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,957 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns/Prosperine/whitsundays/Prosperine/Hervey Bay

Your best to catch a flight from Cairns to Hamilton Island and then the ferry across to Shute Harbour and the local bus to Airlie Beach.

www.fantasea.com.au/Timetables

www.qantas.com.au (direct flight).

As Sailbabe mentioned you will have to fly Hamilton Island to Brisbane and then to Hervey Bay.

or you can fly Proserpine Airport to Brisbane with Virgin Blue. www.virginblue.com.au or www.jetstar.com.au

Coach or taxi transfers from Airport to Airlie Beach take around 40-45 minutes.

or Mackay Airport is 170 km's to the South of Airlie Beach - Serviced by QANTAS, JETSTAR, and VIRGIN BLUE

You can hire a car for the 2 hour drive to Airlie Beach from Mackay or Cairns to Airlie Beach is approx

737 kilometres 8.5 hours driving time.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns/Prosperine/whitsundays/Prosperine/Hervey Bay

Thank you so much for the info, and really fast as well.. this will give me lots to think about... and how to plan this part of my trip... I've got to digest it all first, and then see what I want to do.

Dave

north east
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairns/Prosperine/whitsundays/Prosperine/Hervey Bay

i did a 3 day cruise last year on barefoot cruises, really good and really value for money.

6. Re: Cairns/Prosperine/whitsundays/Prosperine/Hervey Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 23:16