We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hamilton Is/Proserpine locals ?

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Hamilton Is/Proserpine locals ?

posted this on the Australia forum but would love feedback from locals as to the likelihood of air fare specials ex brisbane or sydney ... see below

Planning a trip flying into Hamilton Island or Proserpine in September. Fares are reasonable now but do any locals have an idea whether they are likely to increase in coming months?

I prefer to fly qantas if possible but have never watched for specials into those destinations and curious about whether they are often on sale. Will fly Virgin if the price is worth giving up the Qantas club for !

Happy to book now if those in the know advise.. also happy to wait a while if they often crop up on sale over Winter.

any help appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Proserpine
Proserpine
Queensland, Australia
Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hamilton Is/Proserpine locals ?

Hi

My opinion would be that if you are looking at airfares now for travel in September, I would go ahead and book them - there will be school holidays in September so you will find that the seats will sell and therefore the airfares will go up in price (as they only allocate a certain amount of seats at different prices). The airlines don't generally offer sales where they are valid for travel in school holidays. If you are going outside of the holidays, you might be ok - you can take the risk and wait a few months to see. They have had sale fares for travel up until June / July this year, so the next round of sales will include the August / September period.

Qantas don't fly into Proserpine or Hamilton Island anymore, it is Jetstar now or Virgin Blue. Either airline are fine, I have flown both of them up there.

Mentioned in this post
Proserpine
Proserpine
Queensland, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hamilton Is/Proserpine locals ?

I always travel up every year in October but tend to wait awhile to book

It really is a hit and miss game .. Jetstar often put specials on and at times have fares of $99.00 from Sydney .. they had some a couple of weeks ago on their Friday afternoon specials from 4 pm to 8 pm .. worth checking out .. also if you subscribe to Jetstar then they often pre warn when they are going to bring out birthday specials etc.

I agree with Barina that if you are travelling in school holidays .. then your options will be more restricted

Have you booked your accommodation .. obviously if you are checking air fares then you aren't going for a package deal so I presume you are looking at apartments?

Whilst a bit trickier .. I advise people to find their accommodation first as you normally dont have to pay a deposit for several days and then you can book your air fares.. so many people jump in and get the cheaper air fares but then are stuck with specific dates which they can't change and have to accept whatever accommodation they can find and so what you save on the airfares, you pay more for accommodation

Yes Qantas haven't flown to the island in years .. originally Ansett "owned" the airport so it was a restricted market but then Qantas came on board and when Jetstar commenced service.. Qantas pulled out .. and now recently Virgin have commenced services

From Brisbane you have more choices and more direct routes.. last year I flew Virgin one way as it was a lot less expensive but had to fly via Brisbane and obvioulsy took longer as we had to wait in Brisbane airport but on the return flight Jetstar was cheaper .. so we chose them

I have been flying there for 19 years .. in early days if we booked within 7 days of arriving on the island , a ticket could cost $900.00 return which was ridiculous .. more recently there have been fares as low as $79.00 one way .. however.. the most common price from Sydney has been $159.00 each way but can cost more

Jetstar was a god send when it commenced flying as the fares dropped so much .. so at least you have choices .. but when you book is something we all grapple with and September/October are 2 of the most popular months on the island

Abbey

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hamilton Is/Proserpine locals ?

On re-reading your post, I realised you may not be staying on the island .. possibly a yacht?

Remember to factor in transfer costs between Hamilton Island and the mainland .. these can cost over $80.00 per person return so could influence your choice of airports

Abbey

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hamilton Is/Proserpine locals ?

Yes we will be on a yacht so accommodation no problems. I presume there is a shuttle bus to Airlie from Proserpine after each flight.. should we pre book those or just get on. What is the usual fare?

Our alternative is to fly into Proserpine and then depart from Hamilton Island at the end of our trip. If we were to fly INTO hamilton and then ferry across to Airlie.. do we need to pre book those ferry tickets? From memory one can walk from the marina to the airport am I correct?

Mentioned in this post
Proserpine
Proserpine
Queensland, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hamilton Is/Proserpine locals ?

I will have to hand this one over to those in the know .. as I havent been to the mainland for quite awhile on a paid ferry service

There is another company operating out of the airport for transfers to Airlie Beach .. I saw them on my last visit as they have a booth right next to where the luggage is collected

I believe they have ferries going from the airport jetty

When we used the Fanteasea ferry's we just purchased a ticket just before the ferry arrived ... there are shuttles which run from the airport to the Marina

Abbey

6. Re: Hamilton Is/Proserpine locals ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2010, 14:35
Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hamilton Is/Proserpine locals ?

Hi TW Yachtgal,

Just q quick one re: transfers.

From Proserpine Airport to Airlie Beach, best to pre-book with www.whitsundaytransit.com.au so you can advise them of where you want to go. The price is $15 pp one way and $28 return.

From Hamilton Island Airport across to the mainland you have 2 ferry companies to choose from: Fantasea and Cruise Whitsundays. Their websites are www.fantasea.com.au and www.cruisewhitsundays.com.au .

With Cruise you pay $55 pp one way from the HTI Airport to Abel Point Marina, which is most likely where your yacht is departing from. Fantasea's prices are $53 pp. and travel to either Abel Point or Shute Harbour, depending on the time of day. (Good to know where you need to meet your yacht as the two marinas are approx 10km apart.) Both companies request pre-bookings.

Sale fares are released throughout the year, but if you see prices in the vicinity of those mentioned already in this thread, snap them up. You won't get any better if you need to travel in the school holidays.

There's a Jetstar special on right now for travel from 4/5 - 24/6 with fares from $49! The later you leave it though, the higher the prices get.

Happy sailing!

TW

Mentioned in this post
Cruise Whitsundays
Cruise Whitsundays
2,498 Reviews
Airlie Beach, Australia
Shute Harbour
Shute Harbour
Queensland, Australia
8. Re: Hamilton Is/Proserpine locals ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Airlie Beach