We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train Cairns - Airlie Beach

Milano
Level Contributor
20 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
train Cairns - Airlie Beach

Hi everyone,

I have some problems with Queensland rail website. Can somebody tell me hos much is the train from Cairns to Proserpine?

Thank you!

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train Cairns - Airlie Beach

About $159.50 for an economy seat and the journey is about 24 hours.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train Cairns - Airlie Beach

Hello Chiccaska

I saw this post and realised that westlondoner has given you some bad advice.

I live in Queensland Australia, and the correct fare is Cairns to Prosperpine, AUD$103.10 regular economy fare.

The trips take approx 13 hours and there are stops along the way.

Go to www.queenslandrail.com.au/Pages/Default.aspx

This is the trip planner, type in Cairns to Prosperpine economy, number of adults, date you want to travel, and economy and check fare types.

Its very straighforward and you can book online. You could also try Greyhound Coaches www.greyhound.com.au as the coach takes 11 hrs 20 mins.

The info I have given is correct as of today. Sure this will assist.

Edited: 29 July 2010, 12:56
Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train Cairns - Airlie Beach

Perhaps I should have said incorrect advice....apologies Londoner

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train Cairns - Airlie Beach

Thanks for the correction. Unfortunately I was looking at the Brisbane to Proserpine fare. However the cheap train fare appears to be much cheaper than flying.

sydney,australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train Cairns - Airlie Beach

there are 2 trains on cairns-proserpine route. my recommendation is the tilt train(all business class only).leaves cairns 10am twice a week and most of trip is in daylight.should be about $180 and the extras make the small price difference well worth the cost. i am an australian senior travelling bowen (1 hour north of proserpine) to cairns on tilt train in 2 weeks and it only cost me about $A 73 !!!!!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train Cairns - Airlie Beach

Hi,

I am goin to the Whitsunday's this coming January 2011 and I would like to know when is the best time to hire a sail boat or Catamaran (how will I be able to get the best "lowest" price possible), if it is better to hire it before arriving there, through one of those internet web sites or when I am actually there. What I am looking for is a charter boat, those where I can be with no more than 8 or 10 people. What would be the difference in the price, between hiring before and when I am there?

Thank you and I hope somebody can answer my question.

Martin.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: train Cairns - Airlie Beach

Hi Chiccaska,

Another option to rail or bus is flying with Qantaslink from Cairns to Hamilton Island and then getting a ferry across to the mainland from there. It might be more expensive though, but only takes 1 hour on the plane.

Chaco76, you want to join a boat trip that is run by a company? Not hire one to skipper yourself? Then look at these sites: www.whitsundayssailingadventures.com.au and check out the Vessel Chooser and the Availability sections to choose a boat that suits your needs and find one that is available on the dates you want.

Also check out: www.explorewhitsundays.com for the same types of options (sneaky hint: go to the travel agent section for their boat availability calendar)

You'll find there isn't much difference in price between booking now and booking on arrival. The major difference you will find is that all the best boats with the best deals are booked out early and you will be left with only a few choices, if any at all.

Good luck, let us know if you need any more help!

TW

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train Cairns - Airlie Beach

Thank you very much for your hint, is very helpfull, now I would like to know as well since you are there, we would like to go camping for couple of nights to Whitehaven Beach and yesterday from the Tourism of Queensland web site I've got the info that the only way to get to the island is either by helicopter or sea plane and that the prices are between 250 and 350 dolares to get there, is this true? are there any water taxis, or ferries or some other much cheaper way to get to the island, since all we want is camping, nothing organized, no tours nothing, we just want the transfer to the island and to be dropped there.

thank you again,

Martin

airliebeach
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train Cairns - Airlie Beach

For transport to Whitehaven Beach for camping you go with a boat called scamper and the cost is $150 return. This can be organised at any travel desk in Airlie Beach. You will need a permit from the Environmental Protection Agency which can be done from when you book the transfer with scamper or you go on line with www.epa and follow the prompts. From memory there are 33 camping places on Whitehaven Beach since they put in the new amenties. This will probably rise again as I believe that more amenities are going to be built there.

10. Re: train Cairns - Airlie Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Airlie Beach