We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitsunday ideas

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Whitsunday ideas

I am travelling up the east coast of Australia in August and am hoping to spend a few days in Airline beach/Whitsunday islands. I am travelling with my brother and my mum.

We are on a tight budget and would like to do some snorkeling and walking (well anything the islands have to offer!!) .

Is it best to stay on the mainland and do day trips or to cruise for a couple of days or to visit one island and stay for a couple of nights if we are on a tight budget.

What will the weather be like in August?

Any advice would be great.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Whitsunday Islands
Whitsunday Islands
Queensland, Australia
Airlie Beach...
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitsunday ideas

If you are on a tight budget maybe a 2 day 1 night sailing trip could be a good alternative for you, what you spend on accom, two day trips and food would work out the same if not more.

The weather in August is awesome and is my fav time of year, the southern states are in the middle of their winter whilst we have the best weather in the country (around 25 degree days).

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitsunday ideas

Thank you. Is there any companies you can recommend for the trip? Is it best to book when i am there or should I book over the internet before i leave?

airliebeach
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitsunday ideas

You will get a last minute special if you buy when you are in Airlie Beach and this will help with a tight budget.

Mentioned in this post
Airlie Beach
Airlie Beach
Queensland, Australia
New Zealand
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitsunday ideas

Weather is great at that time of year. Look at Pacific Sunrise for a cruise. Beautiful boat and it will be the highlight of your trip.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitsunday ideas

You will be able to get special prices/offers a day or two before the boat sets out. Different boats leave on different days so make sure you check beforehand. By doing this, your first choice boat might be filled and might not do any specials, so having a few in mind would be a good idea.

I have been aboard the Whitsunday Magic and have nothing but praises for it. My full review of it can be found at tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g261596-i1723-k402…

I have also heard and read many good things about MS Kiana and Pacific Sunrise.

Mentioned in this post
Whitsunday Islands
Whitsunday Islands
Queensland, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,728 posts
1,679 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whitsunday ideas

August is a perfect time to visit the Whitsundays. If on a budget stay at Airlie Beach. Check out wotif to see what suits your budget.

wotif.com/hotels/australia-qld-airlie-beach-…

Mentioned in this post
Airlie Beach
Airlie Beach
Queensland, Australia
Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Whitsunday ideas

Hi Catherine,

The boats are great, it's an all-in-one package including your accommodation, meals and sightseeing. Whitsunday Magic is no longer operating though, as beautiful a boat as she was, Pacific Sunrise or Kiana will make good alternatives.

If you'd like to stay on land, Airlie Beach will give you the greatest range of accommodation prices. Even the backpackers often have nice private rooms with ensuite if you are looking for a lively atmosphere on a budget!

There are some day trips you can do like visiting Long Island for a day with Cruise Whitsundays. Long has about 20km of walking tracks across the island and you can call into the main resort for lunch and a swim too.

There is also a variety of day trips to Whitehaven Beach, including a snorkelling stop along the way. The best prices of these are around $120-150pp.

Weather-wise, fingers crossed it will be warm, sunny and dry with average temps of about 24 degrees during the day. We think it's the perfect time of year for a wedding because the bride and groom can be comfortable in their outfits during the day without working up a sweat and it's cool enough at night to sleep comfortably. You might need a light jumper, and you'll probably be comfortable in jeans during the evenings, but be able to wear shorts & t-shirts during the day.

Happy trip planning!

TW

Mentioned in this post
Whitehaven Beach
Whitehaven Beach
1,703 Reviews
Whitsunday Island, Australia
Cruise Whitsundays
Cruise Whitsundays
2,369 Reviews
Airlie Beach, Australia
Whitsunday Islands
Whitsunday Islands
Queensland, Australia
Airlie Beach
Airlie Beach
Queensland, Australia
8. Re: Whitsunday ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Airlie Beach