We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to Get to Mackay from Airlie Beach??

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Topic
How to Get to Mackay from Airlie Beach??

Dear all, is there anyone know how to get from Airlie beach to Mackay airport other than one way car rental? Currently my flight is 8:40AM from Mackay to Melbourne which means i have to arrive MKY airport no later than 7 AM and both Greyhound or Premier's schedule can't work out.

https:/…bus-service-availability.aspx

https:/…EZBookingCheckStops.asp

Also is 45 minutes transfer time in Brisbane by Qantas good enough?

MKY-BNE: departure @ 8:40AM and arrive Brisbane @ 10:10AM

BNE-MEL: will depart @ 11AM

Thanks for all your help...

Ryan

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,359 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to Get to Mackay from Airlie Beach??

Why are you flying out of Mackay? (Its pronounced <makk-eye> just so you know). Proserpine is the local airport for Airlie Beach. and there are direct flights to Brisbane. The Proserpine airport is about 20 minutes from AB, and Mackay is almost 2 hrs away. With the proximity of the Proserpine Airport, no one is going to run a shuttle service to Mackay.

I'd check and see if you can get a different flight out of Proserpine as a first option. I've just had a quick look to see if there are any flights on small planes from Proserpine to Mackay, but I can't see anything on the airport website. They all seem to be direct flights to Brisbane.

www.whitsunday.qld.gov.au/getting-around

Edited: 05 March 2013, 23:50
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to Get to Mackay from Airlie Beach??

"With the proximity of the Proserpine Airport, no one is going to run a shuttle service to Mackay"

sorry that is wrong.

with tiger flying into mackay there has been a shuttle service established.

http://www.whitsundaytransfers.com/

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to Get to Mackay from Airlie Beach??

Lien has it right, that is a new transfer service, to meet the re-introduced Tiger flights into Mackay. Cost is about $70 one way from Airlie to Mackay by bus.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to Get to Mackay from Airlie Beach??

"Why are you flying out of Mackay? (Its pronounced <makk-eye> just so you know). Proserpine is the local airport for Airlie Beach. and there are direct flights to Brisbane. The Proserpine airport is about 20 minutes from AB, and Mackay is almost 2 hrs away. With the proximity of the Proserpine Airport, no one is going to run a shuttle service to Mackay."

Hi Vancouverite67, you are exactly right and the reason I choose to fly from Mackay is simply I can use miles to redeem Qantas on Apr 29 which Proserpine is not available. Currently the lowest price from Proserpine to Melbourne is $400 at least by Virgin Aus. Apparently one way car rental is the only choice at this point and hopefully right side driving is not difficult.. :)

Do you think it's easy to find someone share the ride?? Just curious...

Ryan

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to Get to Mackay from Airlie Beach??

http://www.whitsundaytransfers.com/

Yes i send email few weeks ago and they said we(party of 2) have to charter the bus since there's no bus running on Monday... :((( Unless more pessangers join....

Thanks to you all....

Queensland...
Level Contributor
405 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to Get to Mackay from Airlie Beach??

Don't have any answers about the shuttle, but in answer to your question:

'Also is 45 minutes transfer time in Brisbane by Qantas good enough?'

45 mins shouldn't be a problem if you have purchased a ticket on Qantas from Mackay through to Melbourne as your luggage is checked through and you only have to walk a short way through the terminal (may have to go through security again if you enter the terminal on the ground floor, but this shouldn't take long). Even if you missed the connection, they would put you on a later flight and they run frequently.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,359 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to Get to Mackay from Airlie Beach??

Ok, sorry. I retract my comments. :> Happy to be corrected. My first thought is that you have a crummy travel agent who booked you out of Mackay instead of Proserpine.

Gore, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to Get to Mackay from Airlie Beach??

I'd like some help with this too.

We are flying out of MacKay as opposed to Prosepine as we are flying direct to NZ from Brisbane.

5 of us need to be in MacKay by 6.00am

Any ideas would be great.

Mackay, Queensland...
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to Get to Mackay from Airlie Beach??

There is a transfer company that run from Mackay airport daily they do returns from Airlie also www.ocean-breeze-transfers.com.au

Airlie Beach...
Level Contributor
56 posts
916 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to Get to Mackay from Airlie Beach??

Despite what they say on their website, Ocean Breeze Transfers do NOT travel to Airlie Beach daily. I tried to book for Tuesday this week to find that they were NOT going to Airlie at any time on Tuesday.

If travelling on Tiger, there is another shuttle which meets each Tiger flight (Whitsunday to Anywhere Transfers) If you are on another airline check your airline AND Tiger arrival times and you could be lucky. Note that Tiger do not fly at the same time every day - depends on the day of week.

Alternatively, I took the Greyhound bus at 6.30pm, arrived Airlie 8.35pm $30, comfortable airline style seat, USB power and Wifi.

Get answers to your questions about Airlie Beach