We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailing conditions?

kent england
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sailing conditions?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. My boyfriend and I are thinking of doing a 2 night sailing trip around the Whitsundays in May and i have a major concern that i will become sea sick and just want to get off the boat and hate the whole experience. Its a lot of money to spend if it really isnt enjoyable but it looks so amazing and ill kick myself in the future for not doing it and having some doubt.

What were your experiences like? was the water choppy and does the boat sway or is it quite smooth sailing? In particular we are looking at blizzard, powerplay or prima, does anyone have any opinions on any of these?

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Becca

Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sailing conditions?

No one can answer the real question you are asking which is what will the wind speed be on the 2 days in May you will be on the yacht. Relative performance of a boat is most directly related to water conditions, which in turn depend,s on direction and speed of the wind, albeit that current also has an impact.

Design of the boat will have an impact on comfort, but at 20 knots or more, it sounds as if you will be breaking out sea sickness pills regardless of which boat you are on.

Regardless of wind speed, sailing is always more pleasant under sunny, than overcast, skies.

Why are you trying to make a decision this far out when you are so concerned?

I never made a sail/dont sail decision until 48_60 hours before departure when we owned a yacht.

Once you arrive monitor seabreeze.com.au - the decision will be easy.

Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sailing conditions?

Also May will not be peak season and standby fares can often be cheaper.

Edited: 22 March 2013, 21:49
Oz
Level Contributor
12,300 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sailing conditions?

Hi,

How prone to motion sickness are you? It can be choppy inside the reef, short sharp waves but no long rolling swells.

Motion sickness pills or patches BEFORE you sail would be a security blanket for you.

Cheers,

kent england
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sailing conditions?

Thanks for the advice guys! The reason i am planning so far in advance (although to be honest i didnt think it was that far in advance) is because we have to book flights to the whitsundays soon and will only have a few days there. I dont want to turn up with nothing planned then the boats we like are full up. Although i do like the sound of standby fares, anything to make it a bit cheaper!

Ozrcflyer, to be honest i have never really spent much time on a boat (except a few channel crossings to France on a ferry which i have got better on). Although i had a bad experience in Thailand when the boat swayed a lot so i would say about medium-ish. I think i will definitley take tablets just in case as you said and fingers crossed they are effective enough.

Thanks again

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sailing conditions?

Hi Becca,

Hopefully the weather is good when you are here, have you locked in dates and a boat yet?

Speak to a pharmacist in the main street of Airlie Beach, there are lots of different seasickness tablets and different people find different ones work for them.

Under way, a yacht is usually quite stable, they are designed to cut into waves, up to a point, and the Whitsundays doesn't normally have big swells.

Overnight, you will be anchored in a calm bay, and the skippers know how to pic the right anchorage for the conditions on the day, so you should have a restful night's sleep.

If you are feeling unwell though, the best spot for you is up in the fresh air on deck, not in your cabin or bunk below.

We hope you have a great time, it really is an amazing experience!

TW

6. Re: Sailing conditions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 06:19