We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airlie Beach main land beaches

Which Airlie Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
71 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Airlie Beach main land beaches

Hi,

I'm thinking of visiting Airlie Beach next month and am wondering if there are any nice beaches there for sunbaking and swimming?

I know there is a lagoon, but it would be a shame to visit such a nice beachy area and not be able to make the most of it.

I'm hesitant to stay on Hamilton Island or any of the others because I don't want to be restricted to eating at resorts, etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airlie Beach main land beaches

There are 2 "beaches" In airlie beach but you can take day trips to the islands and enjoy their facilities/beaches. A visit to Whitehaven beach is a bit of a must do.

airliebeach
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airlie Beach main land beaches

We do have two beaches. One is right in the centre of Airlie Beach and the other is in Cannonvale. The tidal movement dictates how beautiful the beach looks. Every six hours the tide moves in and out, this is progressive but we have a 3 to 4 metre movement sometimes less. So at high tide the beach looks beautiful and at low tide it is not inviting. However the beach is still there and you can sunbake. This is why the beautiful Airlie Beach Lagoon was constructed and at a price of $14 million. It is huge, has landscaped gardens, has an amenities block (toilets/showers), BBQ facilities (all free) and has patrolling life guards.

Then we also have the beaches at Conway, Hydeaway and Dingo Beach. These beaches do not usually make the review columns. They too are beautiful but you must get your tides right. The tide charts are listed in the local phone book. But to do get to these three beaches you will need transport and there is no public transport to these locations. You will need your own car or a hire car. These locations are listed in the Welcome to the Whitsunday's booklet that every accommodation house has or ask a local.

Then we have Whitehaven Beach on Whitsunday Island. Many boats can get you there and it is the jewel of beaches. Ask at your accommodation house how you can get there. There are too many options. I hope you enjoy your time here and remember your sunblock.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airlie Beach main land beaches

There's a third beach in town, the new Boathaven Beach at the Port of Airlie. It's a lovely spot for sunbaking and swimming, but the lagoon is a nice spot too, and right on the ocean, so you can set your towel up so you are looking at the sea. :)

4. Re: Airlie Beach main land beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 06:19