We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airlie Beach - solo traveller not wanting backpackers/hostel

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Airlie Beach - solo traveller not wanting backpackers/hostel

I'm a 35 year old single female planning my first trip to Oz in June. I'm looking at spending a week in the Whitsundays/Airlie Beach areas but struggling to work out where to stay that not backpackers/hostels but here I can still meet other travellers. Gone are my days of dorm sharing and the activities that come with it. No real budget. Never travelled alone before so grateful for any advice.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airlie Beach - solo traveller not wanting backpackers/hostel

Some backpackers have single rooms- but you have to hunt for them.

I must say my days of that style of accom are over so can't point you to specific ones.

I did travel a fair bit on my own and found it was great to have a room to your own , but meet people on tours, cares etc.

you could try bed and breakfast type places which are a bit more for a mature market than a backpacker and more personal than a motel.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airlie Beach - solo traveller not wanting backpackers/hostel

Suggest you try the YHA hostels. They usually have private rooms, attract older travelers and although you get privacy you still get the benefits of a hostel in terms of cooking facilities and the opportunity to meet fellow travelers.

airliebeach
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airlie Beach - solo traveller not wanting backpackers/hostel

Hi Betty,

Have a look at Whitsunday on the Beach as it is central and has the Airlie Beach lagoon right on their back step. All their rooms are private rooms. They are listed on the hostel sites but are not a hostel. Also Airlie Beach Motor Lodge is in central Airlie Beach, again they are private rooms and not too much of a walk into the main street. Have a look for reviews.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airlie Beach - solo traveller not wanting backpackers/hostel

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've had a look at the YHA and a few other suggestions and B&B's/hotels look like a good option for me. Not sure I can cope with 'student life' at 35.

5. Re: Airlie Beach - solo traveller not wanting backpackers/hostel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 07:17