We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

They say the Yarra needs you...

Oslo
Level Contributor
33 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
They say the Yarra needs you...

But where is the Yarra when you need them?

We are going to the Yarra area (and Emerald) this weekend, but it seems like every motel is full on Saturday (due to some concert I think).

Were can we find a nice, available and affordable place for our family (2 kids)?

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: They say the Yarra needs you...

Most of the accom that way is B&B's. There are two caravan parks close to Healesville, and at Upper Ferntree Gully there is a hotel/motel.

Yes could be a big concert for fire relief, and also many people still have no homes to go to. .

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: They say the Yarra needs you...

www.ferntreegullyhotel.com.au/MOTEL

or try the Knox Shire info centre 9 7587522. they may have more info on the situation and/or will possibly find you something.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: They say the Yarra needs you...

Are you wanting to stay in Emerald?

You could look at Avonsleigh Oaks B&B:

http://www.avonsleighoaks.com.au/

Or follow this link for a listing of accomadation:

takeabreak.com.au/Warburton/…accomodation.htm

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: They say the Yarra needs you...

"some concert" Hoppetussa? "some concert" would be an aid relief concert to help victims of the atrocious bushfires which destroyed thousands of hectares of land earlier this year. hundreds of lives were lost, a whole town was wiped out, and thousands of people have been affected by loosing their homes, businesses, loved ones, animals....

The Yarra wont be there to help you for some time to come, I suggest being a little more charitable at this difficult time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: They say the Yarra needs you...

The Yarra Valley and Emerald are 2 different areas, miles apart. I can't be sure where exactly you want to stay but why don't you try checking to see if the new RACV Healesville Country Club has room. It's close to many wineries and Healesville Sanctuary and within easy walking distance to the township (i.e. Healesville). Keep in mind the area is heavily scarred from the fires; it's not as beautiful as it usually is.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: They say the Yarra needs you...

in defence of Hoppetussa, I do recall seeing a TA report advising ppl to still visit the area as they do need tourists posted maybe 3 wks ago. Have you tried around Eltham, Whittlesea areas its not far to travel to either the city or yarra glen area

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: They say the Yarra needs you...

yes stella i recall the post - the yarra valley definitely needs visitors to help get back on its feet. these visitors, however, need to be aware that this is a damaged area and a little extra compassion is needed to it and its people.

Oslo
Level Contributor
33 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: They say the Yarra needs you...

BrawBlether: I am sorry. It was not my meaning to be offensive, but Jimmy Barnes is not some I have even heard of. And no one told us that this was a aid concert.

Stella099: Thanks. This is what I read too. Despite the tragic bushfire they still want tourists to go there.

I think we just have to get in the car, and drive til we find a nice place :-)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: They say the Yarra needs you...

Thanks Hoppetussa. Hope you find somewhere to stay :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: They say the Yarra needs you...

GB's suggestion to look at areas at the base of Mt Dandenong but still on the outskirts of Melbourne is good as they will be easy access to Emerald but shouldn't be affected by either the Grand Prix or the Concert. Some area's to look at:

Ferntree Gully

Wantirna

Bayswater

Boronia

Vermont

Croydon

Ringwood

Lilydale

Chirnside Park

Further away but always an option:

Doncaster

Mitcham

Box Hill

Glen Waverely

Wheelers Hill

Burwood

All these areas should have reasonably priced motel accomodation, but I'm afraid I don't have specific recommendations.

Get answers to your questions about Dandenong