We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hunter Valley Travellers Rest Motel?

Sheffield England
Level Contributor
449 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Hunter Valley Travellers Rest Motel?

We've booked this motel for one night on our drive up to Brisbane and I've since read that Cessnock, where this motel is, is "uninteresting" - not my words by the way for people who might be offended! Also when looking for recommendations for restaurants I'm not getting any up for Cessnock itself and I am now wondering if we've chosen the right place. We wanted a central place to be able to see something of the Hunter Valley and do a wine tour. We also like to have a decent restaurant in walking distance of our hotel/motel for our evening dinner, as we like a drink with dinner and don't want to drive.

Does anyone know this motel and where it is with regard to restaurants etc?

4 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
30 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hunter Valley Travellers Rest Motel?

I won't say much about Cessnock but your better off staying in Pokolbin for a wine tour/ vineyard experience. Depending on your budget there are a few motels/apartments around there. Mercure Grand Cypress Lake (it's nice, self-contained but a little pricey). There's also Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens, Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill and a few others. There are many restaurants at various Vineyards worth dining at and of course there is a "hatted" restaurant called Muse - but you'll need to book in advance and they are only open Wed-Sat (Sun for lunch). If you need help with a wine tour let me know your budget.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,202 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hunter Valley Travellers Rest Motel?

The Royal Oak Hotel in Cessnock does very good meals. Although Cessnock is not all that exciting, it is a good base for touring the Lower Hunter wineries.

And the Travellers Rest costs considerably less than some of the up-market options, many of which are not in any settlement.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hunter Valley Travellers Rest Motel?

And I've found a lot of the Pokolbin accommodation want a minimum 2 night booking....as you'll have a car its a very easy drive to the various wineries..

Wollongong...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Hunter Valley Travellers Rest Motel?

I can't help you with Restaurants etc. but many of the buildings in the small town of Cessnock have very interest murals painted on them. All showing the history of the town. As Cessnock is known as the town of the 'Big Kookaburra' all the murals have a kookaburra in them somewhere, it is very ingenious and interesting to walk around the town admiring these murals, and looking for the kookaburra.

Reply to: Hunter Valley Travellers Rest Motel?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cessnock