We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coogee holiday in January

nsw australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
coogee holiday in January

we are a middle-aged couple who want to combine a relaxing beach holiday with sight-seeing when it isn't beach weather.

We are staying at the Crowne Plaza. We enjoy dining,shopping and walking and also live entertainment.

Any tips from local experts?

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: coogee holiday in January

There's a nice ocean-front walk between Coogee Beach and Bondi Beach (I think by now it has probably extended up towards Watson's Bay) which you will certainly enjoy. Don't forget to bring a hat!

The walk goes past one of Sydney's historic old cemeteries. I don't know whether this counts as a holiday activity, but there's an interesting hour or two to be spent just looking at the headstone epitaphs and the beautiful monuments. Some quite famour Australians of the past are buried there (including, may I say with humble pride, my own great-uncle, Frederick William Pottinger, who shot it out with one of our most famous bushrangers, Ben Hall).

If you do walk to Bondi Beach, while there, hop the bus (can't tell you the number, sorry) that goes to Watson's Bay, and ask the driver to let you off at the Dudley Page Reserve. This is not much of a park -- in fact, the council needs to rethink its attitude to this bare strip of ground with not even a seat in the shade to have a picnic on -- but it does boast one of the best -- and most unusual, because of the angle -- views of Sydney you will ever see; take your camera, because I guarantee your friends will say "Where did you ever get to take a shot like that?" It's one of Sydney's undiscovered gems. It's so close to Bondi that you may well choose to stroll back through the streets of one of our nicest suburbs.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: coogee holiday in January

Another suggestion is catch ferry from Watsons Bay to Circular Quay after walk and have fish and chips at Watsons Bay wharf.

Take the rivercat to Parramatta.About 50minutes.one way

Take ferry to Mosman Wharf and do walk to Neutral Bay.Once you arrive you will see the Mosman Rowing Club perched on the water,directly opposite.Stop have a cool drink or lunch and admire the yachts and view.The harbour walk starts here you will see a path follow this around and admire the lovely gardens and views.Take ferry back from Cremorne point.

Do the Milson Point to Waverton walk take train to milson point railway station.walk down broughton road to harbour bridge pylon and then walk to north sydney pool, luna park onwards to waveton..take views of sydney harbour/luna park/lavender park/Watt Park/Waverton Park/ you can catch the train back to city from Waverton Station.

explore sydney and bondi on open top bus 24hour ticket..hop off hop on.

UK
Level Contributor
101 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: coogee holiday in January

trying to book the coogee beach hotel for dc jan cant get a booking any ideas where i can look, have tried expedia and opodo

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: coogee holiday in January

Have you tried their own website.

http://www.coogeesands.com.au/

www.crowneplaza.com.au

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: coogee holiday in January

this site on coogee beach might be useful

http://members.optusnet.com.au/mons1/

6. Re: coogee holiday in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Coogee