We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping at Booti Booti National Park spring school holidays

Colorado
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
camping at Booti Booti National Park spring school holidays

I'm looking for help and advice from the folks who know the Forster region. We're planning a camping trip for the spring school holidays (right around Oct 1). We are thinking of camping at Booti Booti National Park, but I can't find a single mention of camping there on trip advisor. The park's website mentions the snakes and goannas that come into the campground, and the surf report talks about the sharks in the ocean--should we take two active kids there to camp, or should we look for another (safer) place?

We're new to Australia so don't have experience recognizing the brown or black/red snakes yet, and I hope never to have to look a shark in the eye.

What do you know about the campground, the seashore there, and Wallis Lake for swimming?

Thanks for your help!

11 replies to this topic
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camping at Booti Booti National Park spring school holidays

if u r going to camp in the bush in australia u will come across wildlife ie. snakes and goannas are amongst them.

snakes are usually timid until cornered. their main aim is to get away when confronted by humans. a black snake is black (with a red belly) and a brown snake is, well, brown. the latter tends to be more aggressive than the former.

and there are sharks in the ocean. every ocean. u r more likely to be in a car accident on the way to the beach than get attacked by a shark.'

in other words if u r going to get out and about and away from it all in australia u r never going to be in a totally 'safe' environment. but the risks are minimal if u r observant.

i have surfed around forster/ seal rocks for many years and never had a problem with wildlife camping out or in the water.

Edited: 06 September 2012, 05:38
Bribie Island...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: camping at Booti Booti National Park spring school holidays

just read your post and hope that you managed to find info on campgrounds. If not and you would like to go in the future, there are several campgrounds in the area. A couple that I know of are The Ruins Campground, run by the National Parks service and Tiona Campgrounds, run by Sundowner Tiona.

There are others, but I can't recall the names. I normally stay at Tiona, which has a range of facilities available, from unpowered and powered tent sites, caravan sites and various grades of cabins. A beautuful setting with the ocean beach on one side and Wallis Lake on the other.

Cheers,

Harry

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: camping at Booti Booti National Park spring school holidays

Hi,

Booti Booti National Park is lovely overlooking the ocean. It does have good facilities ie picnic tables, barbecues & hot showers and drinking water

No bookings are taken for the camping areas within Booti Booti National Park so you need to prepared if you don't get a spot.

See info in link below

…nsw.gov.au/nationalparks/parkCamping.aspx…

snakes, sharks - you are more likely to encounter more danger on the roads than in the bush or sea. Just swim between the flags & read all signs before entering the water.

See info below regarding Beach safety.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c54170/Austra…

Colorado
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: camping at Booti Booti National Park spring school holidays

Thanks Ellemay and Harry for the positive, helpful tips. We did camp over the spring long weekend at the Ruins campground at Booti Booti, and found the campground lovely, packed, and quite noisy late into the night. The nearest beach is not patrolled, so for ocean novices like us it's best to drive to another beach. We liked Halliday's Point and Elizabeth Beach.

The campground, with shower and toilet blocks, contains a free BBQ grill. There isn't much shade and near the campground loop road it's quite dusty. We just passed the Ruins campground again this weekend, and it looked hot. For us cool-night campers, the spring and fall holidays are the limits to camping there. It might prove quite nice in the winter.

I hope this information is helpful to future potential campers.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: camping at Booti Booti National Park spring school holidays

Hi ColoradoMelin,

I didn't realize this was an old post... but thanks for your feedback I'm sure it will be helpful to other campers,

Sydney, New South...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: camping at Booti Booti National Park spring school holidays

We've just got back from the Ruins Camp ground at Booti Booti national park, it's exactly as Colorado Melin describes.

We found a couple of very nice spots & it wasnt too busy when we got there (Australia Day long weekend). On our arrival a 4yo child was bitten by a brown snake. Soon after we've finished setting up, a group of about 30 young locals set up their camp in between few families with small children, they were very noisy pretty much all night. Unfortunately for the youngsters, they were kicked out in the morning by the park rangers.

The following night was surprisingly quiet and peaceful. We met few nice people, including some lovely bunch of well grounded youngsters in their late teens & early 20s.

The park is clean, showers & toilets were also clean. About 10 minutes away from Foster, a small city with pretty much everything one might need. Plus wonderful sight seeing around the area.

Sydney, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: camping at Booti Booti National Park spring school holidays

We found The Ruins Campsite completely overcrowded, devoid of any character, loud, and in general pretty nasty. Granted it was the Easter weekend so we should have expected crowds, but 1.5 meters between your tent with sleeping kids in it and a bunch of feral 20 something's playing drinking games does not make for a brilliant time. In the morning we witnessed a girl vomiting next to the wheel of a car whilst we were having breakfast, stopped the kids from picking up a used condom, and heard a couple at it in the shower as we were queuing! Whilst the facilities were good, and the beach great, the crowds were offputting, and drinking beer at 8am on the beach? Please! I would avoid this place if possible...

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: camping at Booti Booti National Park spring school holidays

Hello- You mentioned that you got there on Australia Day weekend. What time did you arrive on the Sat?

I am planning on arriving at midday on Sat of Australia Day weekend this year (2015). Would you say that is ample time for setting up?

Tamworth, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: camping at Booti Booti National Park spring school holidays

Hello- am planning a family camping trip at the Ruins Camp Ground at Booti Booti this October long weekend. When should you arrive to secure a camping spot?

Regards,

Katie S

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: camping at Booti Booti National Park spring school holidays

The Ruins.

Reply to: camping at Booti Booti National Park spring school holidays
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Forster