We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Katoomba with Teens

north coast
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Katoomba with Teens

Hi everyone

This is potentially going to be a rather weird question!...but....I will ask it anyway :)

I am planning on spending 2 nights in Katoomba with my 16 year old daughter. She is not the happiest that we are going to the mountains as she seems to think it will be rather boring, and "it's not what teenagers do mum!" I have told her about Scenic World etc. Can other teens out there (or parents of teens) please give me just a little reassurance that there are things there that would interest a 16 year old... We are from the mid north coast, and are traveling out west, so therefore stopping in at the Mountains/Katoomba for a 2 night stay as it is "on the way" and I thought would be beautiful (which I know it will be for me...but not if I have a moody teen!!)

Odd question, odd post, I realise...but nonetheless, really keen to read responses!

Thanks so much

Kate

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,670 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Katoomba with Teens

Hi Kate,

I'd give her this ultimatum (but I;m a nasty mummy sometimes) ... you get online and pick one thing you want to do and I will pick one thing I want to do and we we'll both do both - otherwise you can stay home and I will take your phone/ipad/laptop/ (or the pc keyboard) on a holiday ... wait for the *eye-rolls*

cheers

helen

north coast
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Katoomba with Teens

hahahahaha - I needed that response - thank you so much!!!!

And yes....the teenager girl and her amazing eye rolls....sounds like you have one!

Cheers

Kate

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,670 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Katoomba with Teens

mine are thankfully well past that stage now but I'm a high school teacher - and I keep having to remind my students that after 30 years I am totally immune to rolling eyes, hurrumping and under-breath mutterings

actually, there are some pretty funky shops in Katoomba- that might be more to madam's liking

Edited: 30 March 2017, 08:54
Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
989 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Katoomba with Teens

I think your daughter would be surprised at the number of very young backpackers around Katoomba doin' the mountain thing. Speaking as a parent of 3 kids just past teens, some of the walks up here are not "boring" but an eye opener, e.g. the walk down to the base of Wentworth Falls and the walk down the Valley of the Waters.

north coast
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Katoomba with Teens

Thank you Peter. I think the same - once she gets there she will realise - and she had better not then be so determined to be "right" and dig her heels in!

I am so looking forward to our couple of nights there - but I'm starting to think I should be leaving her at home!!! lol

Level Contributor
170 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Katoomba with Teens

Be sure to have lunch at the Yellow Deli Cafe while you are there, great wholesome food and the place has an amazing and unique interior.

Not open Saturdays.....

Oz
Level Contributor
14,677 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Katoomba with Teens

Hi,

Unless she is into some amazing walks ans scenery the one thing that excites all ages is the Jenolan Caves. If you stay at the caves house the ghost story/resident spirit is sure to excite too.

http://www.jenolancaves.org.au/

Cheers,

Level Contributor
170 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Katoomba with Teens

Thinking back many years to when I was 16, travelling anywhere with my parents on a trip would have been as pleasant as water torture. If you have the option to leave her at home, do it. She's plenty old enough to look after herself, and you'll enjoy your trip more without a sulking daughter in tow.

Unless she's into the wonders of nature and enjoys sipping macciato on a quaint cafe, there's not a lot for her to do. If you must take her, just let her wander around on her own, go to the movies or just sit in the hotel bored out of her mind.

Edited: 31 March 2017, 01:34
north coast
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Katoomba with Teens

These replies are fantastic!! The teen years!!

If I could leave her at home, I would - but we are taking our 18 year old exchange student with us too, so that he can see the sights, so we are going from home, to Sydney, to the Mountains, then to my family out west, then back home to the coast - a round trip. And my daughter can't get past the fact that we are only doing 4 days in Sydney, and "wasting our time going all over the countryside"!!!!

woe is me!!!! the teen mindset! But I do love her!! haha

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,670 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Katoomba with Teens

hang in there.... you will survive and one day somewhere in the future you will be able to smirk like a mad woman as your grand-daughter pays her back on your behalf.