We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport from Sydney airport to Katoomba

seattle
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
1 review
Save Topic
transport from Sydney airport to Katoomba

Beginning to plan my February vacation and would like to know the options on public transport from the airport to Katoomba. My flight from Brisbane arrives 1250 on Monday Feb 6th and I am thinking of spending 3 nights in either Katoomba or Leura and using the 'Red Bus' to get around. Thanks in advance

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport from Sydney airport to Katoomba

Train from Airport to Central (or Redfern) then change trains to the Blue Mountains Line which will take you to Katoomba or Leura.

About $35 for a return trip.

Brad

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport from Sydney airport to Katoomba

This link will help you plan your trip and you can also get fares from this website.

http://www.131500.com.au/plan-your-trip

Get off the airport train at Central - it's 3 stops from the airport.

Enjoy the BM!

Bonny Hills...
Level Contributor
201 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transport from Sydney airport to Katoomba

Greetings from the Blue Mountains. Since you have already made up your mind about train and the red bus, you may be interested in buying the Cityrail 3 Day Explorer Link ticket. This gives you the red bus for three days, and also unlimited travel on the train from Wentworth Falls to the Zig Zag Railway during your stay. When you buy a ticket from the airport there is a small surcharge of $10.00 over and above normal Cityrail fares but it is very easy to change trains at Central (Not Redfern). When looking for accommodation look for something around the bus circuit to make it easier to get there and return. Enjoy your stay.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transport from Sydney airport to Katoomba

Hi Sophie

your transit from the airport to Katoomba is certainly 'do-able' by public transport, but depending on whether your airport train co-incides with the departure of a train from Central to Katoomba, you could expect to spend about 4 hours or more in transit.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you plans / what do you want to see and do in Katoomba / Leura ?

Wentworth Falls...
Level Contributor
172 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transport from Sydney airport to Katoomba

Hi Sophie,

As your flight arrives in the middle of the day - there is no way you will spend 4 hours in transit as suggested by DougoOZ.

The trains form the airport to Central depart between every 8 to 15 minutes - trains from Central depart at least every hour and into the afternoon even more regular departures, so even if you miss 1 train by 1 minute the maximum tranist time will be 1 hour.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transport from Sydney airport to Katoomba

Jason -

read my post again

I specifically noted that the transit time was from the airport to Katoomba and the time for getting to Katoomba was dependant upon whether or not the "airport train co-incides with the departure of a train from Central to Katoomba".

That's what transit means - getting from one place to another - in this case, the OP wants to go from the airport to Katoomba.

In that context, please explain how "the maximum tranist time will be 1 hour " from the airport to Katoomba. especially as the train trip takes roughly 2 hours

Edited: 25 November 2011, 05:11
SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transport from Sydney airport to Katoomba

My mum recently did this ride from SYD International to Katoomba.

Took her just a touch under 3h 50m. I was happy to pick her up but well she is happy with the trains.

This time is from disembark from plane, train and her arrival (into my car) at Katoomba.

Please note that she did not have any check in luggage... Just carry on.

@Doug - it's possible by helicopter but can you imagine at what expense : )

Was going to mention a light aircraft from Bankstown to Katoomba Airport but it's about 45 minutes to get to Bankstown then another 15 minutes from Katoomba Airport to say Katoomba Station...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transport from Sydney airport to Katoomba

@Doug - it's possible by helicopter but can you imagine at what expense : )

LOL Brad !! I never thought of that !!

Wentworth Falls...
Level Contributor
172 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transport from Sydney airport to Katoomba

Hi Doug,

So sorry to get messed up in dictionary terms to help a traveller - anyway I guess Sophie has all she needs from all the posts, the best advise given the link to the actual railway info site to work actual travel times

Sorry to mess up "Travel time" vs "Transit time" with you, you are right Sydney to Katoomba may take 4 hours travel time with some transit time at Central.

Call any travel agent and ask how much transit time and how much travel time on a flight from Sydney to London - I am sure they will say the transit time is the time they are on the ground waiting for the next connection in Singapoore, Bangkok, Dubai etc - not the actual travel time.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transport from Sydney airport to Katoomba

ah three sisters , the cable car , walking, katoomba, hydro majestic? What else? carrying an onboard case only not back pack , happy to walk.

Get answers to your questions about Katoomba