We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney-BM

Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney-BM

Am renting a car to go from SYD to BM,can I check if I would need to pay any tolls on the way?Cause read thru a guide book & it mentioned the car has to have some card reader to pay the tolls.Tried asking Hertz but they dont seem to have any idea.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,047 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney-BM

There are now no tolls between Sydney and the Blue Mountains.

Some other motorways have tolls, for which an electronic tag is used by Sydney residents. However, if you do not have a tag in your rental car, you can call a phone number to pay with a credit card. There are clear signs saying a toll is payable and giving the phone number.

Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney-BM

Would u know which motorway has tolls,so that I can avoid them?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney-BM

M2, M7 & I think M4 do.

I rented from Avis recently & they have e-Tags in their fleet.

Generally speaking, roads with F are free and the M's (Motorways) likely to mean Money (tolls).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
926 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney-BM

The M4 is toll-free. It is the motorway you would use to travel from the city centre (or anywhere it) to and from the Blue Mountains.

Just in case you end up heading towards them, toll roads are M2, Lane Cove Tunnel, Harbour Bridge and Harbour Tunnel (both only when you are crossing towards the city), M5, M7, Eastern Distributor northbound, Cross City Tunnel

Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney-BM

Thanks everyone,shall do more research to find the extact route to BM.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,047 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney-BM

From central Sydney, you take Parramatta Road to Strathfield, then get on the M4 which goes all the way to Penrith where it becomes the Great Western Highway, which is the main road through the Blue Mountains.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney-BM

Getting in and out of Sydney can be a bit confusing - especially around the Central/Pyrmont/Darling Harbour area.

I would suggest that you either bring a GPS loaded with Australian maps or (probably more economically for just one trip) pay a few dollars more with the car rental and get a GPS with the car.

It will make your trip stress free and all you will need to worry about is the traffic - which can be awful going to the BM.

It will also be helpful in finding your way to the various sites you wish to visit when you are in the mountains.

An added bonus is that you can set a GPS to avoid toll roads.

Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney-BM

Yeah,I will be renting a GPS frm Hertz,was just worried on the tolls

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,382 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney-BM

The GPS will give you the option to avoid tolls

select this and you will be fine.

In the unlikely event you had toll fares you cn pay by taking not of the phone number provided...soemtime the toll is way cheaper than the traffic surrounding

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney-BM

If you have a GPS, when you set the route one of the options you will see is 'avoid toll roads' - just select that option.

Get answers to your questions about Katoomba