We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire in Katoomba

Which Katoomba hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth. West Aust
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
Car hire in Katoomba

Hi all,

I am organising a trip for a group of 5 ladies to the Blue Mountains end of October. We were hoping to fly to Sydney and train it up to the

Blue Mountains where we hoped to hire a car. Is it possible to hire a car there for a few days. Then we would return by train to Sydney.

Also does anyone have any good accommodation ideas for us while in Blue Mountains. Thought probably Katoomba would be best.

regards Lynley

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,811 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire in Katoomba

It's over $20 each to take the train to Katoomba from the airport. Between 5 of you I would think that it's cheaper and much more convenient to hire a car at the airport and drive directly to the Mountains from their. It would save you the hassle of changing trains and humping luggage from the suburban to country platforms at Central. There's probably a greater choice of rental companies in Sydney as compared to Katoomba which may make the rates more competitive. It will also make the return journey more convenient as you are not bound to train timetables.

As for accomodation, if you give some idea of budget and type of accomodation it would be helpful. Are you looking for a spa? Resort? Apartment? Holiday house?

Spring in the BMs is fabulous cenjoy!

Perth. West Aust
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire in Katoomba

Thanks evamelb,

Appreciate your thoughts and wil put your idea about hiring a car to the group.

Our birthday girl was keen to do the train trip, so might still have to do it that way.

Looking for either a holiday house or resort that we can share rooms etc, a spa resort would be nice but probably a little expensive for us!

We would love to visit some nice gardens if we can.

regards Lynley

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire in Katoomba

Hertz seem to have a hire car office in Katoomba - they seem to be the only mainstream rental company. Not sure about others.

For holiday houses you can try something here that suits your budget and your taste:

http://www.stayz.com.au

There's some high-end resorts in the Blue Mountains like Lilianfels and Echoes (both in Katoomba) - but they're at the pricey end of accommodation.

The Blue Mountains are more known for its natural bush beauty, but if you would like to see some gardens a trip to Mount Wilson will be perfect - it's on the northern side of the Blue Mountains (on the Bells Line of Road) - allow about an hour from Katoomba to get there via Great Western Highway to Mount Victoria, Darling Causeway to Bell, then Bells Line of Road and Mount Wilson Road to Mt Wilson - there are plenty of open gardens which can be seen in the spring and in autumn - some of them are stunning. Details here:

mtwilson.com.au/accommodation-a-gardens/gard…

My recommendation is Nooroo.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,688 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire in Katoomba

I have rented a car for the day in Katoomba a couple of times, and it was pretty easy both times. On my most recent trip, we actually rented from Thrifty in Penrith. Their office is a short walk from the train station and its a good location for doing a loop into the Blue Mountains, esp. if you do Bells Line of Road. We toured the Mt. Tomah Garden and ended up spending far more time in there than we should have and missed the last run on the Zig Zag railway.

http://www.mounttomahbotanicgarden.com.au/

While I agree that it would be easier and probably more cost effective to just rent a car right from the airport, you may not want to drive across the city to get there.

Perth. West Aust
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire in Katoomba

Many thanks everyone, good information which I will use.

Lynley

6. Re: Car hire in Katoomba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Katoomba