We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggest a programme for family trip to Ulladulla?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
137 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Suggest a programme for family trip to Ulladulla?

Tips please for good things to do on a short summer break in and around Ulladulla, for extended family spanning the range of ages from 2 to 75!

Is Milton the best place nearby for nice craft shops?

Any nice family friendly places for lunch that adults can actually enjoy eating in as well?

What about those kid free dinners? Any top fish places or other local gems?

Are there any public open air swimming pools in the area?

Are there any "must sees" in Ulladulla or Mollymook (apart from the beach!)?

Are there sandflies?

What can we do if it is too hot to be outdoors?

Any other tips?!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggest a programme for family trip to Ulladulla?

No knowledge of the area I'm afraid, In summer of course the beach & all the associated things to do, similar to beach areas south of Perth I'd imagine...swimming, fishing snorkelling, golf, beach cricket/footy, lazy days, reading, board games, that type of thing....

Right on the coast you'd be unlucky to get a lot of really hot weather....

http://www.ulladulla.info/

eldersweather.com.au/nsw/…ulladulla

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,441 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggest a programme for family trip to Ulladulla?

Got back from Bawley pont tonight which is just south of Ulladulla.

As far a adults only the best seafood restaurant in town is supposed to be the harbourfront...it'been a whiole since we ate there..The restaurant at bannisters also has a good reputation, but it's even longer since we ate there.

Milton is the standard crafty place yes..think Hahndorf in SA, Beechworth etc. has a few nice cafes as well.

To hot to be outdoors everyone heads to Funland..play Laser tag (need a booking ) etc.

i don't remeber seeing a chlotinated pool but there is a sea pool and lots of people spend time on Burril Lake.

Few wineries south of town near Termeil

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggest a programme for family trip to Ulladulla?

Thanks Mikey for the link to those sites .. very interesting

We have a small place near Burrill Lakes which we have owned for 17 years and we love the area

Goldenmean it is a great area for a get together .. we have had many family gatherings and taken lots of overseas visitors to the area

GW has some good advice .. my son and his family just spent last week there and enjoyed Mollymook beach and had a great lunch at the Mollymook golf club... the views from the bistro are some of the best on the coast and their kids are 1 yo and 3 yo and still they enjoyed the lunch

Also the servicemen's club just the other side of Ulludulla has been having some massive upgrading .. the food was always nice there and they did have an outdoor eating area which was great for kids but not sure what the eating arrangements are now

If you want to eat outdoors .. there is a great fish and chip shop at Burrill Lakes .. we order from there and then cross the bridge for the picnic area which has a large play area and a great bicycle track if the little ones have their mini bikes

For swimming .. Dolphins Point is where the lake meets the ocean .. it can be fast moving at times but lovely clear water and great rocks to scramble over and explore where the rocks meet the ocean

Also at Termeil where the caravan park is .. if you drive through the caravan park there is the beach and also the lake which is great for small children and safer than the oceans can be

If you wanted to travel further .. there is of course Pebbly Beach where the kangaroos can sometimes be seen on the beach but the road in was dirt .. has been a few years since we ventured there so would check the road condition

Also Mogo Zoo which is on the other side of Batemans Bay .. this famous zoo is often in the papers as they breed some animals which havent been able to be bred in other zoos and often take in orphans .. well worth a visit if time permits .. plus Mogo is full of craft and antique shops

Milton has street markets I think once a month .. the shopping area isnt large but can fill in an hour or two

Also Lake Conjola is a beautiful spot ..

GW mentioned some wineries.. these are small boutique wineries which are well set up and easy to find

Definitely check out the attractions on the web site listed .. I will be checking up myself on what other sites we havent visited

And if you feel a bit energetic .. the putt putt golf at Burrill Lakes is a great family activity which everyone enjoys .. the young love showing up the oldies

I usually attract sandflies in Sydney but cant say they have ever annoyed me when we have visited the beach and we usually go at sunset to have dinner by the water .. we have more of a problem with leeches out our way than sandflies !!!!!! YUCK I hate them

Cant think of anything else at the moment but will return if anything comes to me

Abbey

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggest a programme for family trip to Ulladulla?

i live in the area.

milton has a good range of clothing and craft shops as well as delis, coffee shops/cafes (esp pilgrims) and restaurants (beauregard's) and the milton woodfire pizza is cheap and cheerful.

ulladulla has also a good range of family friendly restaurants. try "boardwalk" and "the edge" and if u like great thai "yes I am". there is also a number of outdoor eateries down wasson st. that are family friendly. "harbourside" is a little upmarket, fish orientated but can be patchy. you would think there would be a lot of fish restaurants in the area but there are not. the fishing industry is virtually dead here now. for the best fish buy it fresh at "luckys" and cook it yourself.

"bannisters" is high end, overpriced and imo overrated. Elizans in the ulladualla guest house is not too bad. adults only tho. and there is laguna d’zur international in burril lake which has a good rep.

personally i would recommend the restaurant at cupitts winery, "vineyard kitchen" (on the back road between milton and ulladulla) for a really great meal, ambiance and some good local as well as other australian and imported wine. there are also vineyards at termeil and on the road to bawley point.

there is a sea pool and the local leisure centre has an outdoor olympic pool.

no sandflies!!!!!!

the beaches are the main attraction but there are some nice areas inland. if u r energetic u can always try climbing pigeon house mountain and the trip from milton to batemans bay via shallow crossing is always a nice diversion as is porters creek dam road. lake conjola is also a nice out of the way place to visit as is manyana.

i do not recommend pebbly beach any more. since nsw np have taken over, the place has become developed and the roo's are agressive and they want $6 to allow u to park. and the road in is the pits.

if u want roos in the wild go further south to durras or from bawley point to pretty beach (kioloa area) they are in plague proportions. and this area has some great beaches too.

too hot for outdoors? hasn't been this summer so far. but there is a 2 screen picture theatre and "funland" which is an indoor entertainment place.

the mollymook golf club, the milton/ulladulla bowlo and the ulladulla ex servos also have cheap meals and have aircon!

have fun in our area. we are glad to welcome tourists. numbers have been a little down this season.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggest a programme for family trip to Ulladulla?

thanks Lien for letting us know about Pebbly

It is a few years since we ventured there and I do agree about the roo's .. some years ago a large roo tried to take some food from my sister in law whilst she was standing in shallow water .. instinctively she pushed it away and it retaliated by scratching her face .. it wasnt very pleasant so whilst we love to look at them, we certainly have a healthy respect especially for the large ones

I also hope that many people visit over the summer .. the south coast is not as popular I know because many people say it is too windy but we love it and so much easier to access than the north coast

We havent visited the Clyde River for some years also but I remeber that as being a pleasant place especially on a very hot day with the trees and water .. lovely place for a picnic especially on the weir

Abbey

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggest a programme for family trip to Ulladulla?

Excellent advice already given,

I also love Bawley Point, Merry Beach, and Pebbly Beach. The Murramarang National Park has wonderful beaches, stunning headlands, and is wonderful for swimming,fishing and more fishing !

The other place of interest is Tilba Tilba which is located further down the coast (between Narooma and Bermaguii) ,this little gem of a village is really a must do and see. Situated below the foothills, the villages are steeped in history and has to be one of Australians most loveliest. Good craft shops are located here too.

Also flip through this thread, I wrote a few years ago which gives a little more info regarding other seaside towns along this coastal route.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3069/Austral…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,441 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggest a programme for family trip to Ulladulla?

Actually I had a hard time getting accom, so things can'be that bad!

The campground at Merry emptied ou up the bc on Saturday but Racecurse Beach was still rope over rope.

Much t my surprise Pretty beach was devoid of kangaroos on the 3 visits we made,(as teen we stayeed at Pretty every Christmas for about 5 years, there's a picnic table on our old spot as hey hve rearranged the campground) however there was a large mob in the paddock near to Merry Van Park and where we stayed in a cottage, we had a group more or less out the front all the time wth the exception of just before the hail on Sunday afernoon. There were about 3 group of roos/wallabies all together.

Abbey, last time we went to Pebbly, about 5 years ago the Roo's were very aggressive, it was mid winte and the area was deserted..the roos were standing at the car.

Lien, I agree re the slog for parking, hence parking at merry and doing the walk from there. itis lovely to walk on a nearly deserted beach in the height of summer.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,441 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggest a programme for family trip to Ulladulla?

Please accept typo appologies.it 's no alking to the computer properly!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
137 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggest a programme for family trip to Ulladulla?

Many many thanks to everyone for all those great replies!

You can't beat a recommendation from people who know the place and I'll be printing out the messages (and the links) to bring with us.

It sounds like we are all going to enjoy it (and I will definitely try to get to that winery for dinner one night as well- (now to persuade someone else into being the sober driver- hmmmmmm- who could it be?)

canterbury
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggest a programme for family trip to Ulladulla?

just come back from trip Melbourne-Sydney via the coast road. Stopped at Ulladulla for 3 nights. Sea pool looked awful and was shut when we were there. Smell of seaweed from adjacent beach overpowering. Try and find Rennies Beach - if you have a street map it should be easy. They don't seem to signpost their beaches here. We thought Rennies the best of the lot, best surf etc for body boards, some rock pools to keep little one happy. No toilets though.

Ate at the Asian down Wassoon St. Very good meal. Thai next door seemed popular as well. Italian a few doors up was expensive (in comparison). Fish and chip shop on same street also expensive, but lots of folk seemed to eat there. Stroll down the main st and be amazed at the number of shopping alleys. I think Ulladulla must have about 5 shoppings malls in various stages of disrepair. I think they just keep building new ones, some of older ones just have a few shops in them, some were great for a nosey.

Get answers to your questions about Ulladulla